Closing a Bank Account

Ciaran

I've an AIB current account and a cashsave account. I no longer use the cashsave account and am anxious to close it. Does anyone know what the procedure for doing this is - is it just a case of a phone call to the bank? Also, what happens with outstanding charges - i.e. I assume I owe (small) amounts of money for banklink withdrawals etc.

If you can't call into the branch in person then write to them instructing them to close the account and let them get back to you. Any time I've closed accounts I've always gone in in person.

just do the obvious thing and call into them. if you can't make it then ring them and ask their advice.

Where AIB is concerned, if at all possible, go to the bank and get them to close the account while you wait. This shouls avoid any mistakes which, in my experience are very common when dealing with AIB.

it is best to call into them. that way you can make sure it is closed. a statement should then issue which will have the word closed on it. i recently closed an ebs account and an nib account. both of my final statements said that the accounts had been closed.

Alex.

I would go see them, ask for the manager, watch the manager perform the actions required to close the account and then follow them up several times to ensure it happens!

I urgently needed a bank statment (with current address on) a few weeks ago and after three phone calls to the branch and two weeks I finally received this. In between I received four cheque books that I didn't ask for (I will be returning them!). I went to another branch of the bank to ask for their help in getting a statement (I needed it for another lender for mortgage purposes) and had a heated conversation with an employee there who questioned why I wasnt getting my mortgage through them. She looked offended when I said 'why would I want a mortgage from a bank who can't seem to provide me with something as simple as a statement'. Oh the joys of the Irish Banking system....

A quick fax is always better than a phone call. (no He said/She Said).

and you can keep a copy of the confirmation as proof.

If they mess it up then and try to charge you bank charges after that date, you have proof that tehy don't apply.

NiallA said:
A quick fax is always better than a phone call. (no He said/She Said).

and you can keep a copy of the confirmation as proof.

If they mess it up then and try to charge you bank charges after that date, you have proof that tehy don't apply.

I have sent faxes regarding my account in the past, and even though I have the confirmation slip, the bank never received 2 of my faxes!!!

Back