Close Barclays account and open another non resident sterling account

Sconeandjam

As in the the title. I have received notification I need to close my Barclays account due to non resident and Brexit. Any suggestions would be welcome. Want to pay back payment towards UK pension as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

no reason why you can't make that payment from an Irish account, I did via the BOI app and did my annual payment last week with no issues, yes there is a fee and some currency costs but probably cheaper then the hassle of opening a non-res account

Thanks the daddyman,
I have sterling in the Barclays account and need a sterling account anyway as I travel back and forth. I change currency when the rate is good but it is not at the minute.

I opened a non resident current account online from HSBC approximately 2 years ago. So far there is no problem about non residency.

I opened a non resident current account online from HSBC approximately 2 years ago. So far there is no problem about non residency.
This sound stupid but what is the website and did you call them first? Do you pay a quarterly fee and is there a branch nearby? E.g. in Northern Ireland? I like if I can go into the branch if need help.

I too had to close my Barclays account. I just applied to Bank of Ireland in Northern Ireland and I had no problem opening one. No account maintenance charges.

Plenty of neobanks will let you open an account as an Irish resident with a sterling balance.

You will get a UK sort code and account number and it’s very easy to make voluntary NICs.

This sound stupid but what is the website and did you call them first? Do you pay a quarterly fee and is there a branch nearby? E.g. in Northern Ireland? I like if I can go into the branch if need help.
I checked the website. Ireland is no longer listed as a country where on line application is allowed. You would need to open account in a branch. No regular fees.

I checked the website. Ireland is no longer listed as a country where on line application is allowed. You would need to open account in a branch. No regular fees.
Looks like I would have to fly to the UK mainland for HSBC.

Back