Close AIB account

whatsmoney

Hi folks. I've been with AIB for years but intend to close my account due to new fees. I was planning to switch to KBC but just wondering is there any need to have an Irish account now, or will an account with N26 be sufficient? I understand it's not possible to lodge cash or cheques with them, but apart from that, any reason not to go full time with them as main bank account?

You should be fine with N26 as your main bank account.

The downsides, as you said, are no cash lodgement, no cheque lodgements, no branches if you need them and no Irish IBAN (but that should not make a difference).

The upside is a free bank account, with great features, provided you stick inside the ATM withdrawal limits.

Currently setting up N26 as my main bank account.

The non Irish IBAN can have some impact, just to be aware of it:
Had to fill in manual forms, for Flogas & Electric Ireland, which is a requirement for these suppliers for non IE bank accounts, and I have heard similar stories for some other utility providers. Some can be changed easily online, others not.
Other online subscriptions, such as Netflix etc were all fine.

“Some” payroll software, are not capable of creating a bank file, which can pay into non IE bank accounts, so check this out, its usually not an issue for larger Employers. Its because the bank file format is hard coded to the IE IBAN format. But this issue would be a minority of instances.

Double check all your direct debits and standing orders etc, and also Revenue- My Account & LPT details, and any incoming, non payroll receipts, such as Child Benefit etc.

I am keeping my credit card for the moment at least, as i want to keep it in the shorterm, as there are potential refunds due, but will be closing all AIB bank accounts, shortly.

Re Potential Refunds- most of us, may have refunds due for various items like Flights, Event Tickets, or other items, which have not been cancelled yet- i got most back at this stage but still have a few that have not been refunded, and some are in relation to 2021, so will keep AIB credit card for that reason.

Thanks for replies folks. Yes checked with my payroll and they are updating their system at present to allow for payment into N26. It may be worth opening a KBC account I think for as long as they remain fee free. But as for AIB, I'll definitely be leaving them

Back