Clontarf - the 'good & the bad'?

Nell

Does anyone know what the following areas is are like please...
Hampton Court seems nice and settled?
Mount Prospect Grove -mixed?
Clontarf Park
The Stiles Rd - upper end appears nicer
Kincora Rd -ok?
Kincora Park - good
Vernon Drive / Park

Any advice appreciated

Clontarf is all settled and posh

The last time I offered an opinion on good and bad areas in Clontarf, I ended up getting 'harangued' by PM.

I was born and raised in Clontarf, moving away when I bought my own family home. I still have family and friends living there.

None of the areas you mention could be considered 'bad'. In fact the areas considered 'bad' when I was attending Belgrove NSin the 1970s do not now deserve that label.

And Clontarf is not, in any way, posh. There may be more money to hand than there was 30 years ago, but it's first generation money !

And Clontarf men have harvested 6 HEC medals in the past 4 years !

Its all relative but anywhere with rugger, cricket and tennis clubs is posh Imho

Does anyone know what the following areas is are like please...
Hampton Court seems nice and settled?
Mount Prospect Grove -mixed?
Clontarf Park
The Stiles Rd - upper end appears nicer
Kincora Rd -ok?
Kincora Park - good
Vernon Drive / Park
All of the areas you have listed are settled and quiet in comparison to most Dublin suburbs.

St Lawrence's Road is where Ivor Callelly lives, paid for by bogus expense claims

St Lawrence's Road is where Ivor Callelly lives, paid for by bogus expense claims
Sorry but you're mistaken. The former Seanad member actually resides in County Cork

Joking aside, the redbricks on St Lawrence's Road are lovely. Nice atmosphere about the place.

And Clontarf is not, in any way, posh. There may be more money to hand than there was 30 years ago, but it's first generation money !

Agree completely,grew up there myself,its not a posh area,I got that all the time and found it a bit annoying,the people who live there are for the most part very grounded Northsiders,its an excellent area and even the parts of it that were considered rough down around the Pebble Beach are now no where near what they once were,for my money you wont go far wrong in Clontarf.

My grandparents lived in Clontarf and my aunt and a couple of my cousins still live there.

I wouldn't consider it 'posh', from what I've seen it's mainly solid middle class, with probably a bit of a nouveau riche showy offy element as well. I'd imagine it's a nice place to live, lots of nice old style houses.

I was born and raised there (was in Belgrove NS at the same time as TarfHead ), living there now as well (having moved away for a few years). As said above, it's mostly middle class. There were a few (relatively) rough areas 20-30 years ago but they have dissipated now. In terms of housing, it mainly consists of 3-4 bedroom houses built from the late 30s to the early 70s, the odd apartment block (and more recently (up to 2007 at least ), every bloody house that had a corner site developed and sold it )).

You do have a fair few yummy mummies on the school run, but there is a strong sense of community (the groundswell against a council plan to put a berm (a 3-metre earth hill) along several km the coast was massive, the whole area turned out at demos against it, for example). There are good schools in (or near)the area, both national and secondary for boys and girls. Sport is well represented, there being GAA, soccer, rugby and cricket clubs.

One of my friends lives on the edge of St. Anne's Park, and that does have somewhat of an antisocial element on summer nights (boozing, smashed bottles etc.) but again, it's all relative.

Commuting times: 20 mins by bike to the city centre, roughly the same time by bus. The bus service is still pretty ok at rush hours (say 8-10 and 5-7), but can be a little sporadic outside of those times. Car traffic can pretty bad (esp on a wet Tuesday morning!) but that's the same over most of Dublin.