Clondalkin

Bobtjustice

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me what Clondalkin is like to live in. I work in Leopardstown just off the m50 exit.
I've heard areas of Clondalkin are not great, and apparently traffic can get pretty rough, looking at myhome.ie house and apartment prices seem ok.
Unfortunately I can't afford to live in Firhouse, Dundrum, Sandyford or Leopardstown as the house prices are crazy.
Considering at the moment I'm traveling from Virginia every day I'm willing to risk the 30-40 minutes sitting in traffic!.

Any comments or advise will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Anywhere around Monastery road is good, or indeed Clondalkin village. Try and stay below the canal for good areas. Anywhere beyond the The Mill shopping centre can be dodgy for living.

Excellent connection from Monastery road to M50 and Luas.

Clondalkin Village is a very nice place to live in, plenty to do for families ( very large park suitated in Corkagh Demesne) New swimming pool/gym being built as we speak and lots and lots of restaurants/takeaways. There is a large Dunnes Stores (mill shoping centre), Tesco, Aldi(under re-construction following fire), and Lidl being built as present too. Pubs are really good here too, Laurels, Quinlans, Village Inn and so on.

There is a large Irish speaking community in clondalkin too which is very strange for Dublin (largest in ireland outside of a Gaeltacht area i think). There are two Gaelscoils and one irish secondary school. There is also an Irish Cultural Centre in Aras Chronain that has music, courses, classes and a good night out aswell

Traffic can be a bit of a nightmare at peak times but where doesnt have a problem with traffic in Dublin. There is a new flyover being built into clondalkin village from Red Cow/M50 junction which will help the conjestion heading towards the M50.

It is however suitated very well for Liffey Valley SC, Dundrum SC and the Square in Tallaght. Tallaght hospital is only about a 10min drive away(off peak traffic) and so is Tallaght Institute of Tech.

Public transport is pretty good. regular bus routes into City centre and Luas situated at red cow. two new train stations will be built in the near future near the Canal area to hueston station to replace the current clondalkin train station located on station road.

Areas to look at (money permitting) are Monastery Road/ Monastery Heath/Monastery Rise, Floraville, Castle, St. Bridgets, Newlands, New Road, Old St. Johns Road and Wood, basically the general Village area are all good spots and well established neighbour-hoods too. Palmerstown wood is also a nice area

As previous posts have said Clondalkin is an area of 2 halves. Any where south of the canal is fine except parts of Bawnogue.

Where to look: St Bridgits, Floraville, (Monastery Park,cresent,walk,road) Monastery Rise, Castle estate, Laurel Park, (Newlands Park,road )(Monastery gate ) (Monastery Heath) St. Patricks Park. Apartments Mount talbot looks ok. 30-40 minute drive for me from the Monastery road to Dun Laoghaire. You also have the Luas 10 min walk.

I know a lot about is Clondalkin, having lived there 30 years and must say I totally disagree with the comments about not to buy outside the village. Some of the better areas are there. It all depends on what you are looking for.

I lived in 2 areas beyond the Mill Shopping Centre for most of my adult life. I lived in James Connolly Park for almost 25 years (as my family home) Excellent sense of community, there have been two houses come for sale (out of a total of 70 houses in the Estate) in the past two years. In both instances the vendors stipulated that the houses were not under any circumstances to be sold to investors. On my Mum's road, only 2 of the 10 houses on the road have changed hands over the past 30 years. All of the rest are the original neighbours who moved in in 1972. Thats the type of area I would prefer to live in, as opposed to a rented faceless apartment block.

Across from James Connolly Park is Cappaghmore, another good area, I also lived in St. Patricks Road, again below the Mill Shopping Centre,and another great area. I would also recommend the likes of Oakwood Grove, Dunawley, again all below the Mill Centre. These areas would be very settled and would not have the problem of gangs of teenagers hanging around that some areas of the village have.

Folks-please stick to discussing Clondalkin-not general discussion of 35 year mortgages etc.

Any more crap will be removed.

Not everyone living in Clondalkin has to commute to the city either, there are such things as jobs here too.

and just on that.. i work in city centre and it takes me 30 mins to get in and out of work by car.. not bad at all

my girlfriend gets to Sandyford Ind. Est. in about 15 mins (leaving at 6.30am for 7am start) and leaves work at 4pm and home before 4.30 most days and thats with M50 traffic.

Hi,
5 years ago I moved from Sligo to Dublin, We bought on Castleview Road in Clondalkin and have lived there since. We are very happy here. I also work in Clondalkin, in the Wyeth Biotech Campus, so I only have a short commute to work.
The Village has everything that you would need, Mill Shopping Centre with Dunnes, plus other small shops, with loads of free parking. Theres also Tescos. Few nice pubs, well run with a good village atmosphere. Some top notch restaurants also. The village also has one of the best preserved Round Towers in Europe, a thriving Gaeltacht culture, excellent schools, football clubs, a community centre which is currently under renovation with new swimming pool, gym, outdoor games fields.
Corcagh Park is a beautiful area which has undergone massive re-design and landscaping over the last few of years, with managed fishing lakes and wetlands with a good variety of birds.
Public transport is good with a fair numbber of busses, and of course the luas.
Grange Castle Business park is only 10 mins drive away, and I expect there will be growing numbers of employment opportunities as the years go by.

Of course, as with ANY area some areas are more popular than others. As previous posters have said, anywhere within 10 to 15 mins walk from the Village itself are probably the nicest and most convienient, however there are some nice established areas outside it aswell. I would recommend you come and have a look anyway!

forgot to mention the sporting theme that you wont find in city areas.

- One of the oldest GAA clubs in ireland (Round Towers GAA - founded only 1 year after the GAA itself), a well respected Rugby team throughout ireland, loads and loads of local soccer teams, 5 a-side astro turf all weather pitches, two fantastic golf courses (newlands and grange castle), some lovely par 3 courses and "pitch and put" courses, new swimming pool on the way as already mentioned, home of the Irish National softball team in Corkagh Park with softball/baseball nets and pitches, we also have two current national and international boxing champions too and it has a big following with some good clubs in the area for young kids. Basketball is also a popular sport in clondalkin with the Clondalkin Lakers being one of the best junior clubs in Ireland.

There is alot going for places like Clondalkin. When people knock it, there knocking it because of what they hear on the radio or read in the papers. They dont actually know anything about the place or the people for that matter.

I think Clondalkin is a great spot particularly for FTB who dont want to move outside Dublin and some areas are very affordable.

For instance, my sister has just bought a 2-bed semi in a quite cul de sac behind the green isle hotel (area known as st. johns meadows/greenpark) for the same price as a 1 bed apt!!!!!

I know which I would prefer.

Clondalkin is also a good spot for heading down the country........accessible to the N7 (naas road) and N4 (galway road) and of course the M50.

Back