Clinics with Public Representatives

Card

I'm having an issue at the moment involving a government department. I was discussing it with someone last night and they suggested that I speak with a local TD or councilor. Forgive my innocence but what is involved in going along with such a clinic as they are called. I intend to bring along all information relating to the issue, but will their participation in the clinic involve? Will they come straight out and say perhaps that they are unable to help? Has anyone attended such a clinic? What is the purpose of such meetings. Sorry if this is a bit vague, I just don’t understand what part such clinics can play in what is not supposed to be an open democratic non partisan society? (or is this where my innocence really kicks in?)

In my electoral area the local FF TD has a clinic which is basically like going into a meeting with a helpful bank manager. There was a waiting room outside where his secretary sat and then when your turn comes you go into his office and explain your problem and he'll try help you out with whatever your problem is.

If i was you Id look up your local representative and give his office a call and arrange a meeting with him/her.

well card here is another question to add to yours.why are so many of these "clinics" held in pubs which clearly causes a conflict of interest as michael mcdowells backbench revolt on cafebars suggests ?

I've little practical experience of these matters. In theory, I'd be wondering if you have exhausted all options within the dept? Have you got the issue escalated to senior level? Have you written to the relevant Minister?

I have spoken with the department and everyone involved tells me its a work in progress, despite the fact that it should have been completed and a decision made a long time ago. If a decision isn't made either way within the next few weeks, it will be too late for me and a number of others in the same position. The person I spoke with suggested that a local TD may be in a position to speed up the decision making process.

If you go along to the TD's clinic, he will take your issues on board and the TD will write to the Minister. The Minister's Office will forward your 'representations' as they are called to the relevant Division within the Department. This will in all likelihood be the same Dvision you are having difficulties with. The Division will prepare a written response to the TD which may answer/clarify/obfuscate your representations. Depends really on the issue.

I have found that it is easier if you summarise the issue in a note that the TD can forward to the Department with his covering letter. Otherwise, and it happens frequently, the TD doesn't grasp the issue fully and a half-baked, misinformed rep is sent to the Minister which doesn't help anyone.

I agree with TallPaul - that description of what will occur following to your 'representation' to the TD is fairly accurate.

I note you don't mention what exactly the 'issue' is you have with the Department. If it is a case for example that you have been refused a payment or something, there are often appeals mechanisms in place - have you considered this option or have you already exhausted this avenue?

On the other hand, if your difficulty concerns a customer service-related matter and a government department, there are dedicated Customer Service Managers in each Department who are responsible for dealing with complaints.

I am familiar with some of these appeals mechanisms, where to complain, the various Departments, etc. so if I can be of any further help, you might PM me.

CMCR

Back