Climbers for garden walls

patspost

Folks,
I am looking for suggestions for climbers / covering for the back garden wall.
The walls are east, south and north facing.
I would like some ever greens but maybe a few more colourful plants as well.
Any suggestions, many thanks
Patspost

Hi patspost
I planted pyracanta (not sure if that is the correct spelling ) by my wall,they are evergreen and also produce berries in the late autumn that the blackbirds cleared within a couple of days.

They are also thorny and so act as a deterrent to climb over the wall

The shrub is "pyracanthus" or "firethorn", they produce red or orange berries. I have loads of it in my garden also. They are a pretty vigorous grower and are cheap to buy. Like franmac I have them planted near walls to deter unwanted visitors!

Cotton easter is a beautiful climber - flowers in the summer and red berries in the winter. had a tyre of varigated ivy but the roots get quite big and take up a lot of room. Honeysuckle gives a lovely fragrance but you need to put it with another plant as its bare in the winter. climbing rose is really pretty depending on the look you want.

is it best to wait until Spring before these are planted or can they be planted anytime?

bb1 said:
is it best to wait until Spring before these are planted or can they be planted anytime?

If you are buying from a garden centre where the shrubs are in plastic pots they can be planted at any time of the year. In any case now is the best time to plant, plants will be dormant.

depends on the plant. My gardener (my mum) has just planted cotton easter but its in a fairly shaded area - they are cuttings she grew herself. if you're any way green fingered cuttings and growing plants from seed can save you a fortune.

If you ask for 'cotton easter' in a garden centre, they won't have a clue what you are asking for. It's spelt Cotoneaster (pronounced cot-tone-e-aster). Pyracantha and Cotoneaster are great wall shrubs. Pyracantha is best espalliered; branches spread out on support wires to give a kind of fishbone appearance. It can get quite rampant, but has the most marvellous thorns which have succeeded in my case in keeping the graffitti off the side of my house. Buy the Horizontalis variety of Cotoneaster and it will naturally give you the espalliered look. The only evergreen Clematis that I know off is Clematis Armandii, nice perfumed white flowers in Spring. Hydranea Petiolaris is good for a north facing wall and it is self-clinging.

What about the Virginia Creeper which has green leaves that turn red in Autumn. Takes about five years to get fully established but maybe its called something else?

Don't plant ivy called Russian Vine - it's also called mile a minute ivy. Your wall will disappear.

ophelia said:
If you ask for 'cotton easter' in a garden centre, they won't have a clue what you are asking for. It's spelt Cotoneaster (pronounced cot-tone-e-aster). Pyracantha and Cotoneaster are great wall shrubs. Pyracantha is best espalliered; branches spread out on support wires to give a kind of fishbone appearance. It can get quite rampant, but has the most marvellous thorns which have succeeded in my case in keeping the graffitti off the side of my house. Buy the Horizontalis variety of Cotoneaster and it will naturally give you the espalliered look. The only evergreen Clematis that I know off is Clematis Armandii, nice perfumed white flowers in Spring. Hydranea Petiolaris is good for a north facing wall and it is self-clinging.

They'll know alright. I heard a fellow talking about his climb-aaat-is.

Climbing Hydrangea is a self-clinging climber suitable for shady walls.

My favourite for north walls - winter flowering jasmine, starts to flower in October, bright yellow bells, flowers non stop on our walls till March, strong as anything but not invasive, wonderful plant. Needs just a little support and then it creates a lovely natural hanging effect.

Hi,
I am looking for a not-too-vigorous climber for a north facing wall. The wall is only 1 m (h) by 4m (w).
Would jasmine work? I guess Cotoneaster and Pyracantha are too vigorous?

Thanks

I planted Jasmine in May, and its covered a good portion of the wall/trellis already... it has white flowers now growing, which are lovely... and complemented by the jade green leaves...

I bought the Jasmin along with 3 other climbers, and it is by far the best grower!... I have been training it into the trellis all along, and its turning out really nice... v. manageable... (so far anyway!).

I picked the plants up in Aldi, for I think 3.99 or something similar!... Great value aldi!!!

Last edited:
Back