Clifden

Firehead

Myself and Mr. Firehead are heading to Clifden this weekend, staying at the Station House Hotel, 2 nights B&B and 1 evening meal, €139 pp. We'll be taking the option of the meal in the hotel Sat evening, and I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend somewhere nice to eat on Friday evening or for a light lunch on Sat. While on the subject, any suggestions for a nice drive on Saturday?

Mitchell's is a good one for a meal but check ahead as a lot of places close for Jan/Feb as it's very quiet in Clifden this time of year.

Two Dog Cafe in Clifden for lunch - very relaxed informal coffee shop with the best food ever. Cakes a speciality. Opposite Supervalu. Or expensive but truly classy pub food in Ballinahinch Castle pub.

Afterwards walk down the coast road or drive along the Sky Road in Clifden and all the way out to or just towards Omey Island where, if you are as nerdy as us, you can watch the tide coming in and completely cutting off the island until the next low tide.

Or drive to Roundstone and walk around Dogs Bay or up Errisbeg if feeling a little adventurous.

If feeling very adventurous and athletic, climb Ben Lettery from the Youth Hostel on the N59. Or go to Killary and walk from the Youth Hostel up the coast track towards Leenane. Or Kylemore Abbey and walk up the back of the Abbey. Or some of the Connemara Way from Leenane.

Of course, walking boots, raingear, emergency chocolate, water, torch etc.,etc for any of the more adventurous are a must.

Have fun.

mf

I've been to Clifden off season and alot of places were closed - it was Oct/Nov time. On a prctical note why not eat in the hotel on your arrival on the Fri and while there then get recommendations on what's open or have a browse at some of the local menus on Sat. Enjoy it.

Back