ClearWire Broadband

gebbel

I had clearwire installed yesterday. They are the only provider of wireless broadband in my estate. The fee for a 1Mb download package is €29.95 per month. They also charged me €39.95 because I only signed up for 1 year (no charge for 2 years!). It was a very fast and simple installation and I was happy that I could receive their signal (both Digiweb and Irish Broadbands` signals cannot reach the apartment). 20 minutes after the engineer left, the signal went dead. I rang him and he said he would come over later today.
A forum on boards.ie re Clearwire that I read this morning has made me panic! I wish now I had stayed clear.
Can I now opt out? Is there a 7 day rule on cancellation? They did`nt mention it yesterday. Or should I wait and possibly find out that their service is better than what it seems atm!

If you have no other option for wireless broadband, then do you intend to get 'wired' broadband?

If not, then wait and see. A few people I know have Clearwire. It's not the most reliable, but it's not bad.

From reading your link Id stay away from Clearwire. Sounds like they will do their best to keep you hooked to their network and as for customer service, it seems to be really bad.

Last edited:
If you have no other option for wireless broadband, then do you intend to get 'wired' broadband?

Wired broadband would be the best choice but you need to connect a phone line which I don`t want or need. Also the total cost (incl phone rental) is > €600 per annum from eircom. Too much for me

So your choice appears to be stick with Clearwire or give up on having broadband?

So your choice appears to be stick with Clearwire or give up on having broadband?

One more choice: pay eircom €600 per annum for cable broadband including a phone line I don`t want. DigiWeb offer wireless broadband for €240 per annum but it works on a "line of sight" principle. They mount their transmitter on the tallest building around and if your abode has a direct line of sight to the receiver they mount on the wall then you receive the signal. This is especially frustrating as something like a tree or a shed can block your signal. In my estate, the houses across the road can receive digiweb but I can not.
So yes, it`s Clearwire or nothing

So yes, it`s Clearwire or nothing

Id suggest getting a standard phone line from Eircom and switching to Imagine and taking their 9.99 a month Broadband or even the free one for 20 hrs usage.

That would give u wireless broadband Id reckon

Id suggest getting a standard phone line from Eircom and switching to Imagine and taking their 9.99 a month Broadband or even the free one for 20 hrs usage.

That would give u wireless broadband Id reckon
Huh?! ADSL broadband is not wireless broadband. I think you're confusing wireless LAN access to a broadband connection with broadband delivered wirelessly to a premises?

What about one of those 3G broadband adaptors?

I have Clearwire. Previous to them I had Irish Broadband.

My experience -

Clearwire are reliable. I haven't had any downtime. Browsing can be a bit slow though. (Note: by a bit slow I'm talking half a second slower.)

Irish Broadband were unreliable. Often offline for days. Would not recommend.

I live in Dublin City Centre.

I had a terrible 3 months with Irish broadband. Intermittent service and terrible customer service when you call them or email them.