Cleaning up PC

Pickle

I am trying to clean up my PC and removing programs,s to free more space that I no longer really use or use rarely, can someone explain what the following is and can i sit ok to remove.

Microsoft .net framework 3.0
Service pack 2 & 2.0 1(83mb) (179MB) ,
Dell support (79mb), these are some of the bigger programmes.

I am afraid to remove something and then PC goes awol, is there a rule of thumb to help me, and can I can rid of these 3 for a start.

The MS .NET framework is not so much a 'program' in itself as a component required to run certain other applications, and if you remove it they may stop working. But you can easily download it again [broken link removed].

The Dell support pack is a bunch of hardware diagnostics designed specifically for their machines, and you probably have it on a CD-Rom supplied with the computer. If not, it can almost certainly be downloaded again from the Dell website, unless you have a very, very old model. Removing it shouldn't in itself interfere with the running of your PC.

If you haven't already, have a read of the Key Post Helpful links for a clean pc.

Download the following is my advice:

Glary utilities

Amongst other functions, this highlights 'running' programmes and advises on drains on your CPU etc.

CCleaner

General well known utility - always worth having.

Hijack this

Slightly alarming name, but excellent for removing debris and various unwanted fragments e.g. after uninstalling programmes - it won't advise on which are critical though so you need to know what you are doing/looking for.

Also don't forget Diskcleanup in Programes>Accessories>system tools.

Also in CCleaner>tools>startup you can able/disable programmes from running at startup, and I occassionally run the Registery cleanup too.

Caveat I did the Glary untilties and it found error's etc now all cleared, when I went to check startup programmes they where all enabled for some reason,could their be a reason for this, before test I had them all disabled as normal,
I have disabled them all again, just wondering thanks

Sorry, I don't follow.

Galry have a one-click maintenance - which I assume is what you have done. They also have a function where you see all the running processes. You will have to tick or untick (or maybe do nothing at all) individually if you want to stop the process. Is this what you're talking about?

Maybe you have to restart to take affect? I'll have a look this evening.

One of my favourites:

Advanced System Care Free

www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html

That ccleaner is a very handy app.Can amybody help me with this question.When you click on "registry" and then "click for issues" then "fix issues",it asks you whether you want to back up "changes to the registry".It is absolutely neccessary to do so?

I asked about this before and was told there is no need. I think all it does is give you a copy of whats been fixed but don't quote me on that. :)

tis a great little lad allright, go into tools>startup and you can see what programmes are running at startup and you can disable any you don't want.

Thanks pudds!I disabled a few apps at the start up and I also like the way you can uninstall the programmes you don't want and never should have donwnloaded in the first place.:p

Back