Cleaning Slatted Blinds: How to?

brian.mobile

Our slatted blinds in the kitchen need cleaning.

They are white so I dont want to make th threads holding the together balck as I clean them.

What's the easy way to clean them considering there is a light greasy film from cooking fumes on them?

BM

As far as I remember there is a slatted blinds cleaning tool in the Argos catalogue.
I just checked online there and couldn't find it but basically it's like a sponge with grooves cut into it and a handle.
I'm sure you could knock one up yourself with a sponge!

You can get equipment - like two rolled feather dusters which you can dust with - they're available in hardware shops. I find it easier to just use a cloth dampened with polish as that way you can avoid dust flying around. A tedious job though!!

When you get the necessary equipment will you call over to our place and clean ours also as they badly need doing and I keep putting the job off.

I've tried the and its tedious and not great. IMHO to do the job properly you would need to take each blind down and clean the slats one by one. Its a job I'm putting off for the Christmas hols because I'm dreading it so much :(

The kitchen one is the worst and I think my best friend CIF will be called into action again.

When you get the necessary equipment will you call over to our place and clean ours also as they badly need doing and I keep putting the job off.

Sure just keep an eye out for a blind man in the next week...

I think lots of soapy water and space and concentration should do the job.

Cheers all.

BM

Dump them in the bath with some biological powder and hand-hot water - leave for a couple of hours then shower clean!! Easy

Yes the bath is good... thats how i used to clean mine. Just make sure to let them drain and dry off well.

Thats' what my mom used to do and she was real picky about cleaning!
Soak them in the bath.

A blind shop might clean and restring them for you. I had this done but it is years ago and I can't remember who did it.

This thread prompted me to tackle some blinds in the house at the weekend. I soaked the blinds (some were filthy, especially one which was in a sitting room with an open fire) in the bath, with plenty of warm water and washing powder and washing soda. I used a 2" polyster fibre paintbrush to get in between the slats. I rinsed off the the blind with cold water using the shower spray and stacked it on end, vertically, with the slats "fanned" out. It worked a treat, the blinds are like new. It would be a great little business idea I thought because I'm sure most people couldn't be bothered with the cleaning of them yet it was surprisingly quick and effective.

Have always cleaned what I call venetian blinds in the bath. Soak them in hot water and washing powder for about two hrs and then rinse with the shower head. I find its a great job twice a year for a willing husband if one is available.Could anyone give me advise on how to clean vertical office blinds . Will they dissolve in water?

Back