Cleaning Semi Solid Floors

Delber

Hi all

I have a question how do you clean semisolid wooden floors and not leave streaks/smears or water marks

Thanks

There's probably lots of posts already, if you do a search. Generally for wood - the less water the better. Vacumn regularly to keep dust free.

There is a special rubber brush being advertised in Dunnes as being the business - costs €8 so you can't go wrong! Guarantees no scratches!!!

Re: Cleaning Solid Wooden Floors

I've checked the key posts on this but can't find anything, so perhaps someone could advise me.

We have solid wooden floors downstairs in our house that are about 4 years old. There are some scratches on them but nothing major. Although I regularly vacuum them and use either the Mr. Sheen or Pledge soapy wood cleaner on them they just never look really clean. Can anyone recommend something that would bring the shine back ?

Many thanks in advance - R

depends what finish is on your flooring, usually semi-solid flooring has a polyurethane finish i.e. plastic. best way to clean polyurethane floors,pour a cup of windolene into bucket of very warm water, lightly damp mop the floor,you need to make sure the water is very warm so it evaporates off the floor quickly. vinegar and water shall work also. solid flooring with aluminum oxide finish (flooring imported from canada) can also be cleaned this way.

The best option to restore them is to get the floor resanded and varnished.With semi solid this can only be done a limited number of times.

Just wondering if the windowlene or vinegar trick would work on a solid floor that was sanded and laquered. Had our solid floor sanded 3 years ago but its quite dull when washed and would love to have it shine

We bought these wood cleaning wipes at B&Q and they're great. One side is smooth, th other side has a bit of grit to it but it doesn't harn the floor, it great to clean and leaves no streaks.
Can't remember the exact name brand but they're with the floor cleaning items and in a plastic resealable bag.

ad

it is also possible to recoat prefinished flooring either solid or semi-solid with waterbased polyurethane and this shall restore the floor. i always tell people to recoat their floors every three to four years with two coats of polyurethane in high traffic areas. it is important when cleaning hardwood flooring that whatever product is used it does not damage the finish or leave a residue as this shall make it impossible to recoat the original floor finish. therfore i always recommend uses vinegar and water as this is guaranteed not to damaged the floor finish enabling you if so desired to recoat your floor without sanding it. waxed flooring needs to be waxed every six months to restore, not practical if the flooring is exposed to high traffic or moisture.

I'll try the vinegar and water this weekend and see how I get on. Have used it on windows but wouldn't have thought of putting it on the wooden floor !

Never heard about applying polyurethane but might try it on a small patch if I can get the boards to shine with the vinegar !

Many thanks - R

Back