cleaning old computer hard drive

daithi

Hi folks, I have an old computer I want to recycle,but I want to clean it up- I have copies of CCleaner, Eraser and File shredder, i'm wondering whats the best utility to use the computer can be returned to dell for recycling
any suggestions appreciated

daithi

As far as I know if you reinstall the operating system on your pc or laptop this will effectively overwrite all info on the computer and effectively wipes it clean. This is what I was advised to do by an IT friend before I donated my PC to a place in Dublin which send old computers to Africia for use in education (they are called Camara). If you donate your pc this place certifies that they will wipe your hard drive to US govermnment standards DOD 5220.22M, using one of the most widely accepted methods of expunging data from magnetic media. If you go to their site they give full info on how you can do this yourself http://www.camara.ie/pcdonations/dataerasure.php
Hope this helps.

As far as I know if you reinstall the operating system on your pc or laptop this will effectively overwrite all info on the computer and effectively wipes it clean. This is what I was advised to do by an IT friend before I donated my PC to a place in Dublin which send old computers to Africia for use in education (they are called Camara). If you donate your pc this place certifies that they will wipe your hard drive to US govermnment standards DOD 5220.22M, using one of the most widely accepted methods of expunging data from magnetic media. If you go to their site they give full info on how you can do this yourself http://www.camara.ie/pcdonations/dataerasure.php
Hope this helps.

simply reinstalling will not remove all the info on the hard drive it simply removes the reference to it that the OS uses to locate it. You have to overwrite the data. other wise data recovery applications can recover it. If you used your pc for banking or stored passwords for paypal accounts ect. you should go to the link kindly given by canny39 above don`t trust third parties to do this as if there is a mistake made it is too late

If you want the computer/disk to be used again, then [broken link removed] is the best tool I know of to securely delete data and leave you with a usable disk. If you don't care if the disk is used again, then take it out and physically destroy it.

A massive magnet. Bigger the better.

You'd need a very heavy duty degausser. No one is going to have one of those. We have for backup tapes in our office. But it doesn't work on Hard Drives. Have you ever used one that worked on Hard Drives.

The extent you go to depends on how much you really need to ensure the content of the drive is irretrievable. If you just want to do the minimum, then reformatting and/or using disk eraser tools do the basics. If you're serious, then removing and physically destroying the hard disk (hammer or drill is a simple but effective way) is the only way to ensure its contents are gone. Hard disks are not expensive, so I wouldn't trade my privacy over worrying about leaving a usable disk, if I were you.

Back