cleaning Newbridge silver

Bubbly Scot

I bought a pen about three months ago. It wasn't too expensive, Eur30 but it was nicely weighted and looked good without being flashy. The other days however, I noticed that it was looking a bit tarnished, more than that, it was pitted, tiny little marks or chips in the silver.

Is there any way I can clean it? It's Newbridge silver. I'm brassed off cos while I didn't keep it in the little pouch thing it came with, I always store it in my briefcase when not using it and it's beginning to look like a piece of tat.

As €30 for a pen is not cheap I would be inclined to return to where you purchased it and ask their advice.

I had a Newbridge watch and the same thing happened eventhough I polished it with a silver cloth etc.

Newbridge products are silver plated, (according to a jeweller when I was going to buy a set of cufflinks) she wanted to make me aware that they would tarnish with time and general wear and tear.

Worth trying to return I guess. I didn't bother with the watch as it wasn't that expensive.

BTW I do have a few other Newbridge pieces and they are fine but only wear them occasionally.

Try toothpaste - I read somewhere that it worked - and it did on my wife's Newbridge "silver" jewellery. Just rub it in with a soft cloth for a minute or so then wash it off.
Let us know if it works...?

Having been told the same by a reputable jeweler. It's called Newbridge Silverwear for a reason. Very thin electroplated silver.

I bought a set of kitchen knives/block. Were sharp enough for about a week, then went blunt and wouldn't sharpen no matter what i tried.

At 80euro not cheap either.

Was told by same person that newbridge used to have the steel brought in from sheffield. Now imported from taiwan or similar.

IMO Newbridge is entirely over rated as a brand.

Very disappointing! I've always admired Newbridge products..well, since I arrived here a couple of years ago. Think I'll be steering clear in the future!

Will try the toothpaste trick and let you know, irishlinks.

My other half thinks I should take it back but the shop has those "no returns, no refunds" notices..which I know are not worth the card they're written on but is it worth the aggro, I ask myself.

It might be worth your while to have a look at Newbridge Silverware website, they might have some tips on how best to clean their products. Failing that, you should be able to find a number/email for their customer service dept, they might be able to help.

If you are near or pass by Newbridge regularily it might be worth while dropping the article into their showrooms, they will replate the item FOC for you.