Cleaning new floorboards

Josey Wales

Hi,

I'm just moving into a new home and we are going to varnish the floorboards upstairs. The floorboards are already very smooth and don't look like they need much sanding.

They are a little dirty though after the building. Does anyone here have any advice on the best way to clean floorboards such as materials to use or the best method to use?

Thanks.

a light sanding should do put ring your builder and ask his advise

I've done this job in the past and if you really want a good finish you'll have to get down on your hands and news and expend some elbow grease! First of start by scraping off any cement or plaster stains and punsh down any protruding nail heads using a hammer and punch. I would then scrub all boards (with the grain) using a scouring pad and warm water with a little detergent added. Rinse off with a damp cloth and allow to dry. This will remove any stains, gease etc but will also raise the grain slightly and allow you to get a really good finish with a sander. I know a lot of people wouldn't bother with scrubbing the boards but as I see it you'll only do this job once so do it right!

Carpenter said:
I would then scrub all boards (with the grain) using a scouring pad and warm water with a little detergent added.

Thanks for the advice but you'll have to forgive my ignorance. What does 'with the grain' mean?

We cleaned our 50 + year old oak block floor today using a mixture of equal parts of methylated spirits, white venegar and raw linseed oil.

Floor came up very well and I assume that it should work on other woods.

Josey Wales said:
Thanks for the advice but you'll have to forgive my ignorance. What does 'with the grain' mean?

I mean to clean or scrub in the direction of the grain of the timber- follow the distinctive lines in the surface of the wood (these lines are effectively the growth rings you would see on a tree stump). Scrubbing or sanding at right angles to the grain will produce scratches that can be difficult to remove and which will be highlighted by any subsequent finish you apply to the boards.

After you have had the heating on for a while you may find that the edges of the floor boards rise a bit.
If this is the case you will have to sand down the edges a bit first with a rented push along sander. A rub of medium/ course then fine should take these humps out of it. I don't know how long these "humps" take to appear, a month or two.
If yoou are anxious to get the floors sorted now, maybe put ona bit of heat to see if it happens.

Back