Cleaning a white gold diamond ring

emily_moss

Can anyone tell me the best and safest way to clean a white gold diamond ring please? Its a solitaire engagement ring with diamonds in the band also at either side.

Thanks a million

Hi, i also have a white gold solitare engagement ring and wedding ring with diamonds in the bands. I clean it with some mild soap detergent (handwash) and a babies toothbrush in warm water.

I have checked on many sites to see the best way of cleaning it safely (and cheaply) and they all recommend this. It comes up sparkling every time and people always comment on how clean i keep it.

My wife takes this one step further, and after washing in warm soapy water, she leaves it in a cap of vodka for a few minutes, and then takes out and wipes.
This was recommended to us by Keane's jewellers in Cork.

I have a white gold, sapphire and diamond ring.

The white gold has now got an ugly yellow tinge, which always happens to white gold.
I've heard that this colour can be fixed - a process called 'dipping' I think.
Has anyone got this done, and does the colour of the gold seem like new again?
Do the diamonds have to be taken out of the ring to perform this process?

Thanks,
Ragazza.

Yes - white gold needs to be treated if the colour of the underlying yellow gold starts coming through.

Hi Ragazza,
The store where we bought my ring does the dipping for free. You should check where you bought your ring if they do dipping for a reduced rate (as its one of their rings) or for free.
cas

Dipping brings white gold rings back to "as good as new" but unfortunately it doesn't last very long. Had my band done in February, looked great, back to its off colour now, cost €30/€40.
Is the vodka more for cleaning the diamond rather than the white gold band ?????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_gold

Most jewellers, use an ultrasound cleaning tank into which they place a mild ammonia and/or detergent mixture. The ultrasound just provides agitation to speed up the process.

You could just mix up a mild ammonia solution at home yourself & let it soak. I wouldn't suggest a tootbrush as this could cause abrasion on the gold or stones.

Alternatively you could purchase a jewellery cleaning solution such as this.

[broken link removed]

BTW, i have no relationship to the website, just found on a simple google search.

One thing to note with ultrasound cleaners though is that if you have very small stones in your jewellery they could come loose if the agitation speed is high.

My engagement and wedding ring are both white gold. I've just had them recoated in the jewellers where they were bought. They are like new...cost me €60.

The jeweller advised to clean the engagement ring (diamond solitaire) with a toothbrush and liquid soap/washing up liquid regularly to keep the diamond shining. She also advised me to drop in anytime I'm passing and they will give both rings a quick clean which should help preserve the lifespan of the coating.

To add to the previous posters comments, white gold is more of a greyish colour than white so white gold rings are often coated with rhodium to help keep the color and luster that would come with a brand new ring.

But the coating wears with constant use. So to keep white gold rings looking new,they will need to be re-coated again about every 18 months.

However, i would suggest cleaning yourself first and if it doesn't achieve the desired results then get it coated.

Thanks a lot all, for the replies.
I'll bring my ring to the jewellers where I bought it, to get it re-coated in white gold.
No-one has specifically said it, but I suppose the stones do not have to be removed from the ring to re-coat it?

Ragazza.