Cleaning a laptop keyboard- suggestions anyone?

horusd

My Dell keyboard has a dust & maybe a few particles like breadcrumbs or summit underneath, (note to self-stop eating toast near PC !) making some of the keys hard to press. I have hoovered it, and shook it gently to get them out. I know you can remove the keys,but it's a nightmare to put them back on. Any suggestions?

I would'nt try removing the keys individually , but it is very easy to remove the entire keyboard. Remove the panel above the keyboard (may need to prise it on the right hand side with a flat screwdriver) and that will expose two screws which have the keyboard secured , simply remove these and clean then replace.

• Turn the keyboard upside down and use a can of compressed air to blow out any foreign matter.
  • Clean the sides of the keys with a cotton swab dipped in isopropyl alcohol.

For a more thorough cleaning:

• Remove all of the keys (gently pry up each key with a small screwdriver or a similar lever).
  • With the keys removed, blow out any debris with compressed air. With a moist (but not wet) cloth, lightly swab all surfaces.
  • Do not allow any type of fluid to enter the keyboard.
  • Clean the individual keys and put them back in the keyboard.

Great advice there from Paddy and you will get the compressed air in PC World or most computer stores. You can also pick up keyboards for around €15 or less.

Thanks Paddy,Pudds and theshark.I'll try the compressed air etc pickup.If that fail,I'll buy a new one.I actually didn't know you could buy them. Doh