Cleaner's accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art

My father employs a cleaner who comes to his house every Tuesday and does four hours work. Last Tuesday, she broke a plate and cut her finger of which he was aware. She rang him last night and told him that she was unable to come today as her GP had instructed her to go to the local hospital, 40 miles away, to get her finger checked out. He thinks there may be glass still in the finger. Anyway I am just wondering what my father's potential liability is here in the event that there is damage to the finger?

For someone to be liable, they have to be negligent. It's hard to see how your father could have foreseen and prevented this accident taking place by any precaution, unless there's more to it than the simple story told. In any case, if your father has household insurance it may cover him in this instance, check the terms and conditions.

In any case, if your father has household insurance it may cover him in this instance, check the terms and conditions.
Would household insurance normally cover someone working in the home? Wouldn't you normally need some kind of employer's liability?

I'm guessing that this was a 'casual' employment, i.e. cash in hand and no tax or agencies involved. Could this expose the householder to further risk?

But if the cleaner was self-employed then surely they should have their own insurance to cover any such accidents

.... and being self-employed they would have to cover their own tax obligations etc.

If they were/are self-employed the householder should have asked to see their insurance.

Householder should check (and report to) his own insurance regardless ( ... cos Complainer's scenario seems more plausible .... especially when their hours were so few)

Casual employment is still employment, the distinction to be made is between an independent contractor and an employee, every case is judged on its merits but I'd be pretty confident that a dometic cleaner would be deemed to be an employee (whereas a tradesman probably would not). As Vanilla says it is hard to see how your father could be liable.

On a positive note almost all home insurance policies would indemnify for such a loss... (usually referred to as domestic servants)

What makes you think that a plumber could be classed as an external contractor while a cleaner wouldn't

Ouur house insurance covers this type of thing. Check out your policy.

What makes you think that a plumber could be classed as an external contractor while a cleaner wouldn't

It's a bit of a murky area the distinction being between a contract of service and a contract for service with various tests to be applied by courts.

Factors which influence a decision would include the level of control exercised. The level of expertise is also a factor considered with the roles requiring least training being more likely to be deemed employees.

Another factor is the entrepreneurial test, such as when a plumber quotes for a job he may theoretically make or lose money on that job, if for instance he were to employ another to assist him etc.

There could be cases where a plumber is deemed an employee and cases where a cleaner is deemed a contractor (eg if the cleaner were an employee of a large cleaning company) but not in the majority of cases...IMHO

Thanks folks for all of the responses. He actually rang the insurance company yesterday and it turns out that he is covered - he had said before he rang that from his reading of the policy, it wasn't clear if he was. So good news.

I doubt very much that she will take any action anyway but will let you know if there are any further developments.

Status
Not open for further replies.