Clean Shave Policy

Hasslehoff

I have a friend who is going for a new position in an American company, he has been told that if he is successful that he will have to shave off his beard since the company has a "clean shave policy". Does anybody have experience of this in the workplace ? Are such policies enforceable or enforced ? I presume if it is tied into the contract that he would have to abide by the term, he only has one of those "beckham" goatees which is not very visible however he has been told that this would have to go ?
Any thoughts ? This is new to me, he is really interested in the job but he does not want to let his goatee go.

He should shave off his hair and eyebrows and maybe other body hair too and see what they say.

It's unusuall but such extreme dress codes are not uncommon. For example, banks usually have standards about visible tattoos and piercings. Unless his beard has some religous significance, basically he has 2 choices, shave it off and take the job or don't and don't

Does this mean that they cannot hire traditional Seiks? Would like to see how that goes in terms or racism & discrimination! (no I'm not one by the way!)..... what company is this by the way? McDonalds, Pizza Hut, KFC perhaps?

A Garda took a court case over this issue, does anyone know the result or was it settled on the steps like most of their other cases?

"A BEARDED garda, bristling at being confined to indoor duty for refusing to shave, is to mount a legal challenge. John Wilson, a 38-year-old Cavan father-of-three, will argue that the Garda ban on beards breaches the Irish constitution"

If its a job related to food the reasoning is that although you can wear a hairnet you cannot wear a 'beard net' and hairs might drop off into the food. Could never understand why eyebrows and eyelashes seemed immune to this type of shaving policy but I can understand it about beards.

If its a job related to food the reasoning is that although you can wear a hairnet you cannot wear a 'beard net' and hairs might drop off into the food.

Beard nets are permitted in some food manufacturing companies. These nets have a particularly fine mesh designed for the purpose.

I am not going to disclose the name of the company, i only wish to discuss the policy otherwsie we will end of with too many anti capitalists / bushists.

I don't think that a beard or goatee is as offensive as a tattoo or piercing once the beard and goatee is a standard design and that you don't have anything similar to a Slipknot band member.

Yeah - used to work for a company with a clean shave policy in the city ( London) - also dark suits and women had to wear skirts - no trousers. I do remember one emloyee getting a bye from the clean shave policy though - can;t remember why - but he was based in IT and not "client facing".

And I hated wearing skirts.

was not a food company either, financial consultancy.

I think its worth pointing out that Mr Wilson did not "refuse to shave" as such but suffered from a medical condition that meant that he could not do so.

Careful now! Respect diversity...

I always respect people with guns (no matter how stupid they look)

If their skirts were any shorter we would know if they were bushists as well (can men be bushists?)

When i worked in dunnes as a student they had a clean shaven policy and women were meant to wear natural looking make up and no jewellery except for wedding rings according to the staff handbook. Then again they are american owned too arent they? (k-mart?)

In the food industry bearded workers wear a snood,this is a net that covers facial hair,it can be hot and uncomfortable to wear.

In the army there is a clean shave policy. cant have a mm of hair at all they must ask for permission for a goatee. they must ask for permission for tattoo and if they came in with a love bite or anything like that on their neck it was classed as damaging government property. how nuts is that. They are told they are owned by the army 24/7.