Classic!

I think it was a reasonably funny card, but, (and I'm not generally overly PC) I do completely see why it would be offensive/insulting.

I think it was a reasonably funny card, but, (and I'm not generally overly PC) I do completely see why it would be offensive/insulting.

Oh come on! In a reverse psych way, it's a compliment to gingers.

Oh come on! In a reverse psych way, it's a compliment to gingers.

Yeah. Young kids really get the reverse psych bit and so do their mates in the playground.

If the card had said "...even the Chinese ones" would they be expected to see the funny side and chortle along?

I think kids with normal kid hang-ups and sensitivities have enough to deal with without Tescos adding their tuppence worth. Every little helps after all.

Yes you are right. The card is racist. For God's sake, the only people with hang ups about hair colour are idiot adults. Have you ever heard a kid with red hair come home from asking mammy why am I different? Maybe we could get the civil rights movement on the case. Equal rights for ginger people.

Sunny, you obviously dont have red hair or knew of anyone that grew up as a red head.

Was she as a child though? I know I wasnt proud of it as a child and all I wanted to do was cut it off or get it dyed (and I'm a fella )

The worst thing that ever happened to me as a child was someone spitting on my hair, they were taller than me and spat down at me. I cried and cried and asked my mam why did I have to live with red hair. Not really nice now was it... And I used to hear the same thing over and over again.... "Ding a ling a ling your heads on fire"

Sounds like a therapist could make a fortune off you!!!

I had weight issues as a child that I used to be picked on about. I still laugh at funny fat jokes.

Tesco has apologised after complaints that a Christmas card it sold was offensive to people with ginger hair.

The card in question shows a child with red hair sitting on the lap of Santa Claus under the banner: 'Santa loves all kids. Even ginger ones.'

Davinia Phillips, whose three children all have red hair, was enraged when she saw the card at one of Tesco's stores in northern England.

'It's discrimination, pure and simple. I have shown it to a lot of friends and they are all disgusted by it,' she said.

I bet a few laughed though too.

I think the racism parallels are over the top but if you substitute "fat" or "with glasses" it's a fair enough comparison and I certainly think cards like this would be inappropriate and unnecessarily cruel - especially when they are centred on children.

Do people not agree?

To be fair I don't think the cards were targeted at kids. I would certainly of bought it for my ginger girlfriend if they hadn't pulled it!!