classic car importing

D

daffodile

Hello, can anyone tell me if there is VAT or Import Duty on importing Classic cars that are around 25years old? Or there are any other things a should be aware of? We want to import a Classic Porsche from Europe to UK. Any advise more than welcome!

Hi daffodile

Sorry, I can't be specific, but I do know that, if it's 25 years old, your car doesn't qualify as a 'classic' in terms of any exemptions - the cut off point is 30 years, I believe. Beyond that and you're looking at reduced/no VRT (not sure on this), minimal road tax, no NCT requirement, and so on.

VRT is a flat €50. Annual road tax is similar. No NCT.

Car must be 30 years old to qualify.

daffodile, I notice you asked about importing from Europe to UK. This is an Irish site, so most information given here would be pertinent to Ireland.

Have you looked at [broken link removed] for information?

Thankyou for you info. I wondered what VRT was? Didn't realise I was on Irish site, but surley regs must be somewhat similar?? many thanks anyway.

...... I wondered what VRT was? ...........

Ohh to be in your position - VRT is an unfair tax imposed by the Irish Government that makes car prices in Ireland some of the highest in Europe, and as a result means that the manufacturers strip down the standard spec's of their cars to try and make them cheaper to buy. [end rant]

Back