Class S from ARF Reckonable Contributions

Giggs11

Quote from S class in "Retiring early and the state pension" thread.
The important column is the "Combined Reckonable contributions and credited contributions for pension"

I retired in July 2022, after 40 years of Class D's, I now have an occupational pension.

I have an ARF and have withdrawn more than €5,000 in 2022 and 2023, and have 52 Class S's "Reckonable Contributions for Pension" on my PRSI statement from Mywelfare. I was hoping to continue with the ARF withdrawals and qualify for a small pro rata pension at the end of 2026.

BUT my "Combined Reckonable contributions and credited contributions for pension" column for year 2022 (retirement year) only shows 26 contributions (2023 is fine at 52)

Anyone know if the 26 Class D's in 2022, have priority over the Class S's for pension purposes (both cover same period)?
At the end of 26, will I have 260 or 234 eligible pension contributions?
If not and i withdraw €5,000 from ARF before July 27, (I will still be under 70), can i get the 26 shortfall and apply for pro rata pension in July 27 or do i have to wait to year end for the full 52 Class S's.?

All help much appreciated

If your prsi record shows 52 S for 2022 I think you should have 52 reckonable.

Maybe there is a rule that class D contributors cannot get reckonable contributions.

Contact DSP and say you think there is an error on your statement. Ask them to recheck 2022. You have nothing to lose.

Yes you can get class S contributions from your ARF up to age 70. This includes the tax year you turn 70. If you pay in the 5000 euro before your 70th birthday you will get 52 class S for that year.

You can apply as soon as the ARF payment is made. You would probably need to tell DSP that you have made this payment as it probably won't be on their record.

Last edited:
DSP Records Section in Buncrana, Co Donegal advised me that:
"My 26 Class D contributions from Jan-June 2022 will always override the Class S contributions in that period".
I guess i'll have to wait an extra six months for pension.

Back