Clarendon Edinburgh.

fredg

Hi all,
Anyone ever stay there??whats the verdict?
also the city,a good place to go as a couple in their early 30's?
going in 2 weeks.
Thanks.
Fredg.

Haven't stayed in the Clarendon, but the only people who'll say a bad word about Edinburgh are Glaswegians!

I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Try page from trip advisor for reviews of the Clarendon. A always on TA, remember there are many professional moaners, take a balanced view of all the reviews.

thanks,also (and more important!),can i get the names of
really nice restaurents in the city to pre book,along the lines of
peploes or trocadero in Dublin that any of you much more
travelled of people than me have been to!
again thanks.
Fredg.

Stayed there in October..........Hotel was fine and staff very nice. It was at the end of Princess street which was the main shopping street. The night life was quiet...'cept for saturday night which was very lively. We just ate out in various places....dont know those places you mention in Dublin. We had been recommended a place called Frankenstein's as a good pub and restaurant to go too so took a taxi there one night and all the tables were booked out(mind you there was a rugby match on same night) we never went back there. Went on a ghost tour one day called Old Reiky.....dont go on it it was just someone telling ghost stories in a underground cellar...we were very disappointed. Other than that we had a good time.....enjoy it

thanks athens2004,
whats the significance of your user name,if any??

You'll really enjoy Edinburgh. On your first day go on one of the tourist busses that circle the city. Well worth it as it gives you an idea where everything is. Also you can hop on and hop off so if you see anything interesting you can check it out. Also take the trip out to the Britannia which is permanently moored about ten minutes from city centre. Its worth seeing just to realise how small it is! Also there is a large shopping centre purpose built beside it with plenty of restaurants.

Try this restaurant
[broken link removed]

Having spent considerable time in Edinburgh over time and also having checked with someone who lives there at the moment the following are
recommended restaurants:

The Grain Store

30 Victoria Street, Old Town, Edinburgh, EH1 2JW

Oloroso - top floor modern restaurant on George Stree - great views of castle

33 Castle Street, New Town, Edinburgh, EH2 3DN

Stac Polly -there are 3 in edinburgh - the main ones are 29-33 Dublin Street, New Town, Edinburgh, EH3 6NL

or 8-10 Grindlay Street, West End, Edinburgh, EH3 9AS

The Witchery by the Castle - this is more expensive but very popular Castlehill, Royal Mile, Old Town, Edinburgh, EH1 2NF

David Bann Vegetarian Restaurant - excellent veg restaurant 56-58 St Mary's Street, Old Town, Edinburgh, EH1 1SX

Fishers in the City - Nice fish and general restaurant - very central 58 Thistle Street, New Town, Edinburgh, EH2 1EN

The best website to check is http://www.list.co.uk/ which details whats on and what restaurants are in edinburgh

By the way there is a very effiicent bus service to the city centre from the airport if you don't feel like forking out on a taxi (although the taxi fares aren't that steep and if its your first visit to the city might be better to get one until you get your bearings)

No significance I think it was a playstation game on counter when I picked my name. Any enjoy your weekend

just to say,
Edinburgh fab,great place to visit.would highly recommend it.
Clarendon started off as a total nightmare,window broken
on main street side of hotel.also no heaters on so room v cold.
we actually slept on a single bed in different room as they had no
double rooms available.but to be fair they threw £100 off bill.not bad eh.
all in all a v enjoyable wknd.thanks for suggestions.
Fredg.

stayed there two years ago.Nice girl from Galway on reception.Very happy with quality of room, close to bus to airport etc.