clann house, dominick st, galway

johnmurf83

Just wondering if anyone has an experience as to what these apartments are like. Are they safe, are they considered to be in a good area

personally speaking from loving the food in the Kebab House on Dominick Street the first time we ventured down there (after a recommendation from friends) I felt a bit afraid as the area appears very rundown and off the beaten path....

I have walked up and down both Dominick streets, Henry street, William street West and Sea Road a thousand times, and never been afraid.

Yes, at night there can be a lot of pub-goers, etc., plus one stretch of Dominick street is very narrow.

Noise might be an issue, yes.

I had a look at these apartments two weeks ago. I was attracted by the price of €70,000 for a two bed in galway city center. My gut reaction is that I would'nt touch them with a barge pole. Apartments are in a very poor condition. Leaks and dampness in a good few of them. The tenents seen to be mainly social welfare and non national. Rubbish in laneways and general common areas very run down. I asked about service charges and was told they were €900 per unit. When I asked did this cover rubbish collection I was told no. Only covered block insurance and common area maintaince (and believe me there didn't seen to be a lot of maintaince carried out). Tenents are surposed to look after their own rubbish but they just seen to dump it in the laneway.
I also asked about fire certs for the apartments, as I'm an engineer and know about these things. Answer I got was there must be, but looking at the upstairs bedroom windows they don't comply. I would hate to be trying to get out of them in the case of a fire. Just my opinion, make up your own mind.

Domnick street is not a bad area, but it is very central and presumably easy to rent. Not my particular favourite part of the city. Right beside it is a very upmarket area.

If you are buying at the auction do your research by visiting not by going online. And you must have an engineer's report.

Back