Clanbrassil St

B

brando

I'm presently looking to buy my first house and need advice on some areas.

There are great houses/ apts available on Clanbrassil St for good prices but neighboring streets include Coombe St and Cork St.

Can anyone advise if Clanbrassil St/ Patrick St are safe in the evenings?

One house is on a quiet street just off the junction of Patrick St and Coombe St, is this area recommended?

Any tips are welcome, thanks!

I lived in the area for 6 months back in 2005, and was shot at by rockets from council kids during a walk in the night. It is not a safe area for a family or buying home if you ask me.

Best of luck.

Yes they are safe for people who keep themselves to themselves. They are innercity locations which usually brings about it's own issues and benefits. What street are u talking about

A quick google throws up these stories:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/anna-nolan-mugging-man-bailed-217316.html

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

Obviously extreme cases... but I recommend you do some similar searches. Also hang out there some evening/night... see what you think. A friend of mine lived on Patrick St years ago, he never had any hassles.

I don't think these 3 stories in any way represent this area - 1 mugging from 2005, one'gangster' story concerning many parts of Dublin. Btw relying on the herald for advice would leave us all living in bomb shelters

I agree with the poster who said that the best thing you can do is to walk the area at different times of the day and on different days.
Talk to people who live there - even stop people in the street and ask them how they are getting on living there, you'd be very surprised how much people are willing to divulge.
Don't under any circumstances rely on what you read in the papers - there are good and bad spots in all neighbourhoods / developments.

IMO I would look to buy a house here rather than an apt. Generally speaking, most of the apartments buildings in these areas are large and are occupied by renters / tenants. This can often mean that they are not so well cared for and mightn't look so good in a few years time. Of course only you know whether or not you can get a house given your budget / circumstances.....

Defo go to the area lots before committing to a purchase - and go with your gut instinct, will it suit you?
Also base your decision on what you see there today - not what is promised for the future by an estate agent / urban renewal plan.

Best of luck with it.

Clanbrassil Street area

I've lived in a little house just off Dean St / Patrick St since 1997. I suppose the fact that the street is not a cul-de-sac makes a difference, in that there's always a car driving up it, or people walking up or down.

But I have NEVER had a bad experience there. The residents are friendly, with a good mix of some of the older families who have lived there for generations, and younger blow-ins.

As others have advised, suggest you go there late at night before buying, see what it's like. I also agree a house is better than an apartment - not least of all as it may hold its value better!

Best of luck with your decision - I find there are huge advantages to living so centrally, and love being part of the inner city.

Back