Motor Claims history with personal injury, can I change to another insurer?

C

clara01

I was involved in a car accident, it wasn't big but the other party is claiming personal injury. I don't know what way it is going to work out because I was going at 10 per hour but however, say my insurance pays them and then this will feature in my claims history, will I ever be able to move insurers? I am with an insurer now that I know for certain that they are fleecing me, it was in my to-do list to change it but never got around to it, anyhow too late now. But say when I have some 3 or 4 years no-claims history again will I be able to move insurers or will they see my claims history and will never touch me again? The woman is claiming some neck and back pain or whatever, she had no show of any injury not even a bruise.

Thanks in advance

You can always move insurer once the claim is settled. However some insurers may rule you out by way of their underwriting criteria. i.e. they have decided that they will take on individuals with one claim in 3 years not exceeding €10,000.

Is it true that most insurers ask whether you have been involved in an accident in the previous 5 years and if so they go digging up the details but if you say no then they won't look at your claims history? So if this woman gets awarded some money for personal injury after 5 years this will not affect my premium if I move away from my current insurer?

Is it true that most insurers ask whether you have been involved in an accident in the previous 5 years and if so they go digging up the details but if you say no then they won't look at your claims history? So if this woman gets awarded some money for personal injury after 5 years this will not affect my premium if I move away from my current insurer?

This MAY be true,but you can be sure that it will come back to bite you if you need to make a claim.

Right, I see where you guys are coming from. I think I expressed myself incorrectly. I didn't mean I was going to lie. What I mean to say, is this:

Is it true that most insurers ask whether you have been involved in an accident in the previous 5 years and if so they go digging up the details but if you HAVE HAD NO ACCIDENTS IN THOSE 5 YEARS then they won't look at your claims history? So if this woman gets awarded some money for personal injury after 5 years this will not affect my premium if I move away from my current insurer?

Basically I am trying to figure out whether I am going to be paying for this awful mistake for 5 years or for even longer than that.

That depends on the question asked by insurers on their website or on their proposal form. Most will ask about claims within a five year period. As I said above, some may disregard it after 3 years. It comes down to each companies acceptance criteria.

Right so I am tied to my current insurer for 3 years, but 5 years at the very most because after 5 years they will not look at this claim. That is what I wanted to know, thanks Peteb

your best bet would be to call/visit a broker. They will tell you your options and will know which companies will quote you

There are a number of insurers that will quote even if a claim is outstanding. Whether they are any cheaper than your existing insurer will depend on a number of factors, if you lost your full no claim bonus etc. I would recommend staying with your existing insurer until renewal date and then contacting a broker to see what else is available on the market.

Back