Claiming rent credit if you are a director. Is it possible?

churrusco

Hi all,

Me and my partner are registered as directors of my company. I am registered on PAYE and I am 100% shareholder. On the other hand my partner has 0% shares on the company and has a regular job with another company, so she is also registered in PAYE.

I remembered I called months ago to my local revenue office and they told me I could claim rent credit (I found that a bit strange as I am already deducting money having my office at home, but anyways), but we are having now problems to claim it. It is definitely impossible from the PAYE site as it claims we are registered for active income tax.

So the question is basically whether we are entitled to rent credit or no. Specially my girlfriend that has a 0% share on the company.

Cheers!

Forgive me but its a little unclear - are you renting ? If so, it doesn't matter whether you're self-employed or a director or employee etc. You both need to both fill out Form Rent 1 - available from the Revenue website.

Let me see if I understand your situation -

1. You are renting private accommodation
  2. You offset some of the day-to-day living costs (rent, heat, light, insurance, phone, internet) against your home office
  3. The home office costs are paid by your company to you
  4. Your private rented accommodation is also the registered business address of your company
  5. You want to claim the rent you pay to your landlord as an expense against your PAYE income
  6. Your landlord has registered the tenancy with PRTB
Am I right so far?

Last edited: