Claiming portion of private rent as business expense?

ButtermilkJa

I own my own Ltd Co. and will be moving into rented accommodation shortly. I am currently living in my own property which i own but am only claiming a portion of utilities as a business expense as I don't want the hassle or tax bills associated with claiming a portion of the mortgage as rent for the Ltd. Co.

However, as I will be moving into private rented accommodation, can I now claim a portion of the rent as a business expense? I work from home for the vast majority of the time only going to a client's premises the odd day to do work from there. I'm thinking that as the owner of the new property will most likely be an investor, then this situation should not effect their tax liabilities.

This of course depends on whether I get the owners permission to run my business from his/her premises. Bear in mind that there will be no public liability as it's just me and my laptop and no visitors, so there shouldn't be any issues in that regard.

Am I missing anything? I've ran a search of AAM but most of the info relates to people running businesses from their own PPR's.

Just to update anyone looking at this...

I spoke with my accountant this morning and he reckoned it would be fine to apportion a percentage of private rent and bills (within reason) for business use. All I need to do is write a cheque to myself for the amount in question every month and mark it down as expenses for the business, giving the full genuine reason for the cheque.

Obviously this information is just a guideline and was specific to my situation. Anyone thinking of doing the same would be advised to speak with a professional tax adviser regarding their own situation.

I spoke with my accountant this morning and he reckoned it would be fine to apportion a percentage of private rent and bills (within reason) for business use. All I need to do is write a cheque to myself for the amount in question
What percentage have you decided upon?

Not sure. Will have to verify with accountant when I go ahead but I think 30% should be fair enough considering I will be working there 10 hours a day 90%-95% of the time?

I want to claim what I am entitled to but at the same time don't want to take the mickey and attract attention!

Should be fine but may affect the amount of rent relief and service charges you are entitled to claim on your income tax return

Yes that's true. I would assume they may be deducted by whatever percentage I claim as business use.