claiming on travel insurance

samanthajane

Just wondering if anyone has claimed on their travel insurance to move the holiday to a later date.

Were due to go in 9 days and my daughter has perforated her eardrum. The doctor said she should be ok to fly we have to go back next week to get her checked out to see if the infection has cleared up.

We were told to keep it as dry as possible during baths and for her not to swim. It can take up to a month if not more to heal so it's not going to be much fun for her on holiday, not being able to play in the pool or the sea.

Would this reason be allowed for us to change the dates of our holiday?

sorry to read that. Insurance companies are swine. Although , morally, they should accept this as reason to cancel they may say that unless doctor states she is unfit to travel then ,sorry, this is not a reason to cancel even though she can't swim.

I may be wrong but best to plan for the worst
So, don't tell them that she may be OK to fly but not swim. Ask for a claims form but don't give too many details when you ask for it. You must speak to your doctor and get a nice letter from him stating that he cannot recommend that your daughter should travel. And if he won't give it then make sure your daughter screams in agony at the next visit.

I wouldn't be able to get a doctor to say that she couldn't fly. It's actually better pressure wise when you have a perforated eardrum cause the pressure cant build up, so there is no medical reason why she wouldn't be able to fly.

I spoke to them today....shouldn't of done. I now have to pay an extra €112 on top of what i have already paid for the insurance, to have her covered incase her ear gets worse when we are over there, because it's classed as a pre-existing condition!

Back