Claiming on home insurance

O

omaraman

Hi,

My wife has just returned from a trip to the States during which she unfortunatley lost her watch. It was an Omega that I bought for her about 11 years ago just before we married.
For some unknown reason I never itemised it on our home insurance! I've just been looking through our policy and we are covered for up to €4148 on unspecified items.
The hotel in which my wife was staying at the time the watch was lost is forwarding on a letter stating that the watch was reported lost.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to claim for a lost watch on your home insurance policy? I'm guessing the replacement cost to be in excess of about €1500, will that have a significant impact on future insurance premiums?

You should be able to put in a claim. however, although you have unspecified items for €4148, there is probably a maximum value for any one item.

You will also need to abide by the terms and conditions of the policy, which may require a police report, valuation and perhaps proof that you had it in the first place.

If your policy has a no claims bonus, then you will lose that at next renewal.

Many thanks Ravima, I'm pretty peeved that I didn't itemise it all those years ago!!