Claiming on holiday insurance

gramlab

Had to return a week early from a 2 week holiday recently due to an illness in the family. Tour operator was very helpful in getting us back (a lot nicer than our insurance company) and we didnt have to pay for flights as it was the same carrier to fly back.
However after numerous calls to find out how much the second weeks accomadation would have been (to see if it was worth the hassle of meeting the insurers demands for all sorts of documentation, medical reports etc), the company says it cant give a breakdown without the flights included as it was a package deal.
This sounds ridiculous!
Probably wouldn't pursue it anyway as it would be upsetting to have to obtain the necessary documentation, but if it wasn't curtailed because of illness I would be fairly annoyed with the amount of red tape etc involved from both the operator and the insurance company(probably a good tactic on the part of the insurance company.

On making a claim on holiday insurance last year for about €150 or so (I was out that money and didn't really have it to spare,) I am convinced that the insurance company puts a huge burden on the claimant regarding paperwork, forms, photocopies, etc to put them off pursuing a claim.
The amount of documentary evidence I had to produce and the time involved in sourcing and preparing that was hardly worth the effort. Especially when the claim was denied - something I hotly dispute to this day.
But it still got me nowhere.
I worry if insurance companies dont pay out the small claims, what would they be like with a more serious claim, say if someone was in real trouble, like being hospitalised or in legal difficulty? I have little confidence in travel insurance.

I was not able to travel to USA due to illness had no problems with VHI travel insurance.

Back