Claiming money from Ryanair after flight was cancelled

thebop

Apologies to mods if there is a similar post already.

My flight from Alicante to Kerry was cancelled on Saturday last. We rebooked for Alicante - Dublin on Mon evening as it was the fastest way to get home. I presumed I could apply to Ryanair for compensation re the 2 extra nights accomodation and car hire to get me from Dublin - Kerry but the form on their website seems to indicate refunds on the flight only.

Has anyone else been in a similar position?

aviationreg.ie lists all the rules and presents some useful scenarios. However, nowhere does it explain -nor has there been any ruling that I can find- what is meant by "reasonable" expences that EU airlines must pay.
I doubt that Ryanair would consider carhire from Dublin to Kerry as a reasonable expence.

Has anybody actually received compensation yet ? I applied via the online form for flight refund a month ago and haven't even received an acknowledgment as yet.

Ryanair credited my card - however the ticket was 72.89 and refund was 68.98. I didnt have to wait too long but I'm a bit surprised that they creamed something off (perhaps the credit card fee?)

I had my refund at least a week ago. I'd paid via my Sterling Pre-paid Mcard, and got back 40 cent less than I paid, which I assumed was due to forex differences.

aviationreg.ie lists all the rules and presents some useful scenarios. However, nowhere does it explain -nor has there been any ruling that I can find- what is meant by "reasonable" expences that EU airlines must pay.
I doubt that Ryanair would consider carhire from Dublin to Kerry as a reasonable expence.

Cheers for that. I was hopeful about the car hire seeing as the flight to Dublin was leaving 24 hours earlier but apparently my travel insurance might cover it so fingers crossed. With any luck I'll be able to afford to eat again any day now :)

O'Leary must have logged on, I got an e/mail to say I'd receive my refund within 7 day's. I've yet to claim for accomodation etc. They say that the claim is final and won't listen to anything further. I feel there's no time limit on claiming. Anyone got any views?

I didn't get any email or any refund yet and it's been also over a month now since my flight was cancelled.
I have called Ryanair twice and they said everything was processed and ok, but still no news. It's quite frustrating, specially when you think that you gave them your money well in advance and they now seem reluctant to hand it over back to you.

I got an email today saying that I'm going to be refunded for the cancelled flight and they won't be entering into any further correspondence - similar to your response mulking.

Details of claiming from Ryanair are here

http://www.ryanair.com/en/notices/gops/100414-EU261_ENTITLEMENTS-GB

What I am entitled to under EU Regulation 261

If your flight is cancelled, for whatever reason, the EU261 Regulation provides that you are entitled to choose between either of the following:

(a) Full Refund – The airline will provide a full refund on your unused airfare. (If you chose to make alternative transport arrangements i.e. car hire, trains, ferries etc. these are not covered under EU261 and therefore such claims should be directed to your travel insurance company as the airline will not provide reimbursement for alternative travel expenses), or

(b) *re-routing, on the next available flight to your final destination, or

(c) re-routing, on a future flight, to your final destination at a later date at your convenience.

*If, you select option (b) - the EU261 Regulation requires an airline to provide:

(i) meals and refreshments in reasonable relation to the waiting time;

(ii) two telephone calls, telex or fax messages or e-mails;

(iii) reasonable hotel accommodation in cases where a stay of one or more nights becomes necessary;

(iv) reasonable transport between the airport and place of accommodation (hotel or other).

I seem to have claimed under option a and so therefore Ryanair are saying that I am only going to get my cancelled airfare from them.

Next stop travel insurance.

Back