Claim for lost jewelery on Travel Insurance

kellyj

I managed to lose my wedding ring (of almost 10 years) on holidays recently. I am in the process of lodging a claim via my travel insurance policy for the loss. At the same time I have successfully managed to identify an exact replacement for the ring (it was an unusual design but luckily for me still 'fashionable'!).
With the value of gold having gone up since the original purchase the cost of replacement has doubled. I would expect that the value the insurance company would work off is the cost of the original, as would be the case with the normal run of the mill claims. Wondering though for items such as this which appreciate over time do they by any chance consider the current value?

Normally yes. In case you haven't done so, you will need to report the loss to the Gardai.

Thanks for the quick response mercman. Lost the ring over in France. While I have yet to submit the final paperwork all they have looked for so far is a statement (e-mail is deemed to be sufficient) from the crowd I was staying with that I reported the loss locally (i.e. to their reception desk). No mention, as yet, on having had to report it to the local Gendarmerie.

Don't worry, They will ask and do so before it is to late.

I wouldnt hold much hope for cover under your travel policy. Usually personal possessions max out at €300. Would suggest looking at claiming on your home insurance policy if you have it specified!

Back