Cladding Garden Wall

E

etpm

I have an ugly concrete block garden wall, 6 feet high. I want to cover it with timber boards or panels and bring the height to approx 7ft. Suppliers only seem to supply 6ft panels. Any suggestions?

Run two, three or four (6", 4" or 3") rough sawn boards around the base of the wall, fixed to vertical battens at 900mm centres. It'll look like a gravel board, as used with concrete post and panel systems. Leave a small gap between the boards (less than 10mm) for a better appearance.

I'm looking at doing the same thing but I don't quite understand what you are saying Carpenter...

do you mean to put the rough sawn boards at the bottom and then put the 6ft panels above these to bring the height up?

What suggestions do you have for the size of the vertical battens and how would you suggest securing them to the concrete wall?

I had a look at Tiglin Garden Products website and their prices for some of their panels is very good. I'm down that way on Wed so I might call in to them

[broken link removed]

Hi Guys.....

I'm not sure what sort of weight you intend to support but I recently erected a framework of pressure treated timber horizontally along my concrete wall (and vertically where necessary for height) to take willow screening. To secure the wood to the wall I used nails called 'Express Nails' They look a bit more like a bolt, I drilled 6mm wide through the wood and blocks and then hammered the nails home. They open up and anchor accordingly, I hadn't come across them before but they were perfect for the job !!. I got them in O'Mahonys.

r2d2

heard about these...must do a google on them later and do a bit of research on them

a 6'x6' panel with the wind blowing against it will take a lot of securing

Snap! I was reading down through the posts and would have suggested express nails also, very quick and cheap.

can't find too much info on them online...how do they work?

so you drill your hole through the wood and wall, but how do they open up inside the wall?

I was just doing a bit of thinking about this...

basically all I need to cover is 12' wide x 6' high concrete wall.

If I were to get 8' battens and bolt them vertically to the wall at 3' spacings and then secure 6" wide planks horizontally all the way to the top. Its a little extra work but that wouldn't bother me. Where would be the best place to get rough planks? What lengths are they available in? What do you think of my idea? Would you need to overlap them or could you just butt them up on top of eachother?

can't find too much info on them online...how do they work?

so you drill your hole through the wood and wall, but how do they open up inside the wall?

You find a picture here:
[broken link removed]

Drill a hole, hammer in the nail- the nail is tapered along its length like a wedge and will grip the sides of the hole as it is sunk into the background material. When using these don't hammer them fully home until your sure about level/ plumb / square etc as corrections are difficult afterwards. Express nails come in many sizes and are denoted in a similar way to chipboard screws, such as 8x 100, 6x 50 etc. The correct sized bit must be used with them and if you've a lot of holes you'd be better of with a proper drill like a Hilti as the 8mm holes are hard work with a DIY hammer drill. Only down side to them is they are not easily reversible and are not really suitable for finish work, more suited for rough carpentry, first fix etc.

Thanks C.

Do places like B&Q/Woodies sell them?

I tried to get them in B&Q originally but they hadn't heard of them....Not sure about Woodies but as I said earlier you'll get them in O'Mahony's in Ballymount. The other advantage to them is the price in comparison to bolts. You can buy them by the box or individually at about 9 cent per nail.

is that O'Mahonys place a chain of Builder/Providers?

Guy in work today was telling me about a place called O'Mahonys out the Rathangan Rd from Jct 10 on the M7. Just wondered if they are same crowd?

Any decent builders' providers should have them, they're used all the time now but i've seen them in woodies anyway; probably the dearest place you'll buy them though!