CL Football - pity Irish TV has to pander to Utd fans

RMCF

Great game tonight in the CL, Bayern v Man City.

Two of Europes big hitters in what will be a great contest, instead Irish TV viewers get to watch Man Utd walk to victory v the giants of Basel.

Thanks.

Utd 2 - 2 Basel

I'll get my coat.

I know that RTE have to show the popular team to help sell advertising etc, but football fans tend to watch big matches. If RTE had decided to show City Bayern tonight, I'd guess a lot of Man Utd fans and the most of the potential audience for a Utd game would watch the City game anyway.

Great game tonight in the CL, Bayern v Man City.

Two of Europes big hitters in what will be a great contest, instead Irish TV viewers get to watch Man Utd walk to victory v the giants of Basel.

Thanks.

United played in 3 of the last 4 CL Finals - City a bunch of underachieving prima donnas. Does that answer the question?

Roy

United played in 3 of the last 4 CL Finals - City a bunch of underachieving prima donnas. Does that answer the question?

Roy
Ah, no.

I still think it would be better to show what would be expected to be the best game available that night.

It was TV3 tonight showing the football, not RTE.
Sky and Setanta had the $ity game and what a laugh that turned out to be...priceless stuff alltogether. That mercenary boat is starting to sink!

You cannot blame TV3 for showing United , it's all about ratings.

If quality control was the criterion we would be watching Barca & Real on alternate nights , a level of football that currently the premier league teams competing in the Champions League cannot match.

Forget about the ratings - it's about the money (advertising) - Manchester United are Box Office . . .

On this occasion, it was probably better to show the Man U game as there is no point in showing a game that is been shown on another channel who have superior coverage (and so would get all the viewers).

However, this often isnt the case. RTE frequently show matches that are being shown on ITV, Sky etc. They should pick games that arent being broadcast by others.