City council buying up apartments.

P

p45

I think it's time to go back on the housing list, my neice has just been give a 2 bed apartment beside Point Dept and my brother a 1 bedroomed apt in Mulhuddart. She's a single parent and he's an ex junkie.

Better the city council buys them and houses people in them than have them vacant with people homeless, no?

In my opinion a LOT of the social problems (including drugs) we experience are down to ghettoising people in large areas of public housing. It seemed a good idea at the time of course. These areas invariably become crime hotbeds (same in the UK, US, France, Italy etc. etc.) whereas I think it's better to either subsidise the rent a person pays in privare accomodation or go one step further and let the city council buy private units and tenant them out themselves. Breaking up these ghettos and having everyone on a 'level playing field' would eventually (after a generation perhaps!) eliminate a lot of social problems.

I agree there with you, the children will benefit the most because they will be very much influenced by better off kids around them and thus be more likely to aspire towards the same level of acceptable social behaviour and education/career choices.

I agree there with you, the children will benefit the most because they will be very much influenced by better off kids around them and thus be more likely to aspire towards the same level of acceptable social behaviour and education/career choices.
What if the better off kids are the ones more easily influenced?

I'd rather our taxes weren't used to bail out developers and property speculators.

So would we all but as our tax system has been used to support not only owner occupiers but offset morgage interest against rental income for investors and also pay said investors huge sums out of the public purse for providing accommodation for those on RIS , its a bit too late.

Maybe by buying up suitable accommodation now at hopefully reduced prices, (much cheaper than councils building themselves), and by buying small nos of those houses, we will provide security of tenure for those who need accommodation , not create ghettos and finally stop keeping this ridiculous housing market afloat even if in the short term , it seems like we're potentially bailing out some developer.

In fairness to developers, it's not a problem for which they are solely responsible and surely for those whose accommodation needs are met by private landlords ,having a council home must be much better.

I think it's time to go back on the housing list, my neice has just been give a 2 bed apartment beside Point Dept and my brother a 1 bedroomed apt in Mulhuddart. She's a single parent and he's an ex junkie.

What leads you to believe the apartments were purchased by the council? They may be let by the council under the http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/SocialHousingSupport/RentalAccomodationScheme/ (Rental Accommodation Scheme) (RAS). In which case the price paid for the apartment is the concern of the investor and we need only be concerned that the council are not overpaying on rent.

Also, if were are going to have a system of social housing, then surely a recovering addict and a lone parent are exactly the kind of people who should be deemed to be in need of it?

Finally, you seem to imply that availing of social housing is a discretionary act, very much dependent on whether the accommodation is of a sufficiently high standard or not. Presumably, although perhaps regrettably this isn't actually case, but presumably social housing is only offered to those who actually don't have any alternative means of accommodation. Would I be correct in this assumption?