City Channel Widescreen Problems on NTL Digital

extopia

Checked out the new City Channel (channel 123) on NTL digital. I have a widescreen TV and my cable box is set to 16:9 mode. All anamorphic channels work OK. All 4:3 channels work OK too.

Now City Channel is broadcast in 4:3 but instead of displaying the way 4:3 channels should, the picture is shoved over to the left with the right hand portion REPEATED to fill the wide space. It's like watching TV through a kaleidoscope and gives you a headache after 2 mins!

Is it just me or does this happen to other NTL digital customers? None of my neighbours have digital so can't check with them.

Oddly enough if I switch the box to 4:3 mode the picture is fine. But that's not the solution.

Any ideas? There's no point in calling the NTL bozos. And I don't want a Sky Dish, before anyone suggests it :)

I have NTL Digital over MMDS with a 16:9 widescreen TV and NTL cable box set to display 16:9

I have no issues with the City Channel - it displays in widescreen no problem

However, I think the MMDS does may a difference - the service offering, and by default the transmission, is different on cable vs mmds

Does anyone know if City Channel is available on standard NTL. Tried tuning it in - but couldnt find it. If so - what frequency is it?

Digital only, for NTL.

If it were possible you could have my feed of it.
I've yet to find anything worth watching on it.

I have to agree that it is extremely poor. As far as I understood it, City Channel was to be dedicated to Dublin life/events etc and I don't see what tacky cd infomercials have to do with this. I have NTL digital and I have no problems with it (apart from the quality of programming).

Well I'm not particulary interested in City Channel either - I only asked because I thought the problem might be symptomatic of a greater problem with my digibox. In general I have a lot of problems with NTL digital and the box has to be rebooted at least once a day. NTL were a bit mystified by my problem too, and are sending someone out to take a look. No doubt the problem will go away the day before they arrive...

Back