City break to Athens?

Betsy Og

Always been on my mind to go there, not at the height of Summer for obvious reasons.

Anyone done it? I suppose its a bit far for a weekend (though people go to NY etc.), but I'd be thinking 4 or 5 days in September.

Apart from the historical stuff which would be the main draw for me, is the city generally nice/fun etc.

stay as close as possible to the centre near SYntagma Square area (constitution square in English)so that you can easily walk to the Plaka area which by day or by night is very pleasant(old village-like area on slopes of Acropolis,buzzing by night) Also the Hill of Lycabettus -worth a couple of hours walk/funicular.
The Parthenon/Acropolis is easily walked from centre.
Avoid grotty Ommonia area with its cheapy hotels.

Good trips from Athens
- full day three island tour taking in isles of Aegina, Hydra, pROS
- Full day trip Epidaurus, Corinth,Mycenae fascinatiiong for history buffs -rather long and tiring for others)
- full day trip to delphi - long drive ,nice scenery, great scenic location.
-half day trip along coast to Cape Sounion

very good metro sytem in Athens - worth popping down to the little ports around in pireus area -or to northern suburb of Kifissia for evening tavernas with no tourists around.

Much much to do - if you read up before hand. Unprepared and ill-read visitors are put off by noise,traffic and heat. I love it....
...but stay in the centre around Syntagma - not far out or in Ommonia.

Great weather in September.

thanks a million for that Oldnick - worth researching more so.

Now its the great - bring or leave the kids debate (2 smallies, 3 & 6months), I think either leave them or wait a few years, have done a bit around france with them but with car etc, so best all round to leave them or wait I think.

have been myself. It is a nice city, there is a good nightlife too. Personally i'd leave the kids behind as it could still be quiet warm in September and walking around the city when it is hot can be very draining.
As mentioned Plaka is lovely but there are lots of other good spots too