city break in March

Ned_ie

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone can help me out. It's our 3rd wedding anniversary in March and we are looking to go somewhere nice. Unfortunately our 2nd anniversary turned out to be a nightmare due to family problems. So we are trying to do somehting nice this year.

Can anyone recommend somewhere nice to go for a few days (up to 5) around that time?

Thanks

A family group of 8 of us went to Barcelona for Paddy's weekend last year and had a brill time. We stayed at H10 Universitat which we booked with our flight on the aer lingus web site. It was very central and just off Las Rambas. It was also very close to the Tourist bus tours which we really enjoyed. A great restraunt which was also close by was The 4 Cats - so good we went there 2 nights in a row! (and we had a few fussey diners with us). Rooms small but beautiful - even a mini bar which was full of goddies besides alcohol! Breakfast was very good - buffet style. We had dinner one night in hotel but only ok - not a great variety on menu. Bar is lovely for a quiet drink. Staff very friendly and helpful. Would definately stay there again.

We booked just after christmas and nearer to our departure date I looked up the price again and it had nearly doubled.

I look forward to what other suggestions people have as I would like to visit some other cities for weekend trips like that.

Enjoy!

It was lovely, it was dry and crisp. I thought it was warm, I did'nt need a coat and some of the others thought it was cold and had light jackets with them. It reminds me of today, nice and sunny and about 15/16 degrees. We were able to sit out and eat during the day without being blown away.

We had no problem with taxi's either from airport or to airport and we did'nt need them at other times as we were so central and the underground was also very near - the boys used it when they went to see the sports stadium while the girls went shopping!

valencia have a festival around paddys day every year las fallas
Its meant to be really good -the weather would be a bit warmer than barcelona and maybe a bit cheaper
have a look at to see festivals on then

Have to agree with Barcelona - buzzing city with everything although more "irish" pubs in the city centre than almost any other city in the world ! But fabulous architecture and culture. How about the Big Apple - fantastic. We did New York for 4 nights and it is do-able - but maybe 5 if possible. Maybe too far time wise and the jet lag can be rough but what a city !!

Brugge has to be one of the prettiest and romantic towns in Europe, with it's canals, parks and town square. It is easy to get there from Dublin if you fly with Ryanair, there's a bus that brings you to the train station and you can get the train directly from there.
I've also been to Barcelona but Brugge wins on romance in my opinion!

My choices would be
Paris
Rome
Barcelona
New York

All have so much to see and do.

Paris! Been there many times with the present wife. Never fails! Even brought the kids in recent years!

Good hotel (stayed twice, returning next year) - reasonable price, very central (100m from Metro, near L'Opera, shopping areas), real Parisien feel:-

Hotel Langlois
http://www.hotel-langlois.com/

Check the reviews (some Irish)

March would be perfect.

edinburgh is a lovely city for a short break. It has lovely buildings pretty gardens in the centre. Great pubs and clubs and restaurants and is only an hour and the airport is close to city centre

Krackow - a beautiful very cheap city. Flights to Poland are generally quite dear now though but if you can get a bargain head there.

Brussels is a lovely city; would really recommend it. A lot of things to see and some lovely architevture. Not too expensive either.

Ryanair fly to Chareloi which is about 1 hour by bus away. Alternatively Aer Lingus fly to the main Brussels Airport which is only a short hop from the city

I would consider Rome also, weather nice at that time of year.
Remember Ireland will be playing in the [broken link removed] in Rome on st. Patricks day.

It was lovely, it was dry and crisp. I thought it was warm, I did'nt need a coat and some of the others thought it was cold and had light jackets with them. It reminds me of today, nice and sunny and about 15/16 degrees. We were able to sit out and eat during the day without being blown away.!

A word of caution. Was there in March two years ago and the weather was miserable - very cold and rainy.

Luck of the draw I suppose but don't necessarily expect warmth.

I would agree with Coleen above Edinburgh is a beautiful city and although it can be cold then but if you wrap up well it can be very enjoyable. Also a friend of mine went to Salzburg recently for 5 days and had a fantastic time. Like Edinburgh it may be cold but also sounds very beautiful !

I cant believe that no-one has mentioned Venice yet.

Get lost wandering the narrow streets, watch (dont pay) the gondolas go buy and sit on St Marks Square as the water begins to slowly flood and the orchestra's play beautiful music.

Can recommend fantastic and reasonable B&B...

Nice will be lovely that time of the year...and you can take a day trip to Monaco and dream that you own one of those yachts!

hey folks looking to spend a long weekend in Paris, like to find out if food and drinks will be very expensive there? any tips and hints welcome!

I was looking at salzburg too for either march or april. ryanair fly there, and it looks small enough to be enjoyable. really enjoyed instanbul last month but its a monster of a place.

Back