City break for the parents?

ney001

Hi there

Parents anniversary coming up in October and we are looking for a nice (different) city break for them, they have been to Paris, Amsterdam, Prague, London and a few others - does anyone have any ideas?. We have thought of Iceland so far, does anyone have any information on Iceland in October?. Also looking for recommendations for hotels - they like their hotels so it'll have to be a five star or possibly a really good four.

Thanks guys

Kracow, Poland.

There is a beautiful small boutique hotel near the centre called the Copernicus.

Expensive but very unusual.

I think Ryanair fly direct now.

What about Lisbon, lovely city and possibly still nice weather in October. 5* Hotels can be had reasonably cheap ( compared to London or Paris) and TAP flies direct now from Dublin. Rome is also very nice, but might require longer than a weekend to be explored.

Aer Lingus flies to Rennes in Northern France until late October. You can pick up flights for €19. It's a great city, easy to walk, lovely old town and even the new town is old. Nice squares, nice architecture, lovely restaurants and bars. The main train station and the main bus station sit side by side. We got a bus to the beautiful medieval town of Dinan for €3 each way, definitely worth seeing. We also got the train to St.Malo for a lovely day. The flight is only 1hour and 10 mins from Dublin. The only drawback is that you won't find a good 5 star hotel there, mainly 3 star hotels.

Hi,

you mentioned they are interested in Iceland.
I was there in Oct a few years ago, and had a fabulous trip, but it is cooooold! Each day I wore everything I had brought with me - two pairs trousers, 3 t-shirts, 2 fleeces, and was still cold.

However if they are well wrapped up, its well worth it. In one day we saw geysers, a frozen waterfall, looked into a volcano, saw the aurora borealis. If they like nature and unusual landscapes, they'll love it.

Reijkavich is VERY expensive - about 12 euro for a glass of wine. But if you are only there for a weekend, it shouldnt add up too much.

Ragazza.

Would ye consider Munich. We were there for 5 days afew years ago and really enjoyed it. Transport great.

How about Brussels, small city, easy to navigate, great food and drink (something like 300 beers brewed there). Hotel rates aren't too high for the weekends, we got an excellent deal in the Renaissance for approx Eu50 a night, 4* with indoor pool (down side, its in European parlement area about 15 mn walk from Grand Place).
Lots to see if you like your history, and I recommend the Military museum (after all most European wars in the last 200 years managed to play out in Belgium!).

Krakow in my opinion is greatly overrated as a tourist destination - okay there are 1 or 2 nice squares and a castle but that's about it, much of the rest of the city is shabby enough. There is very little to do there if it rains and the town is mediocre (at best) for shopping when compared to other European cities. It doesn't really compare with the likes of Prague or Budapest.

My parents went for a long weekend to Lisbon about a year ago and loved it. It's meant to be a bit like Barcelona 15 years ago before the tourist hordes discovered it,

Brussels is wonderful,I try and get there once a year,Great deals on laterooms.com for 5 star hotels in grand place for 99 per night, Great location,beautiful buildings and not a long flight.Best city in europe in my book..

Parents went to Lisbon and loved it. Good public transport, good food, real friendly people, bit of culture, nice in october.......

Brussels and Munich are both good bets, can I also suggest Cologne. You can fly cheaply from Dublin with Germanwings () and even connect from Dusseldorf by a v. cheap train having flown in with Aer Lingus.

Cologne is a really wonderful and romantic city, great value hotels, restaurants, sights to see (even a Chocolate Museum) and great street performances on Saturdays outside the Cathedral and at the bottom of he Museum steps nearby. Plus the weather is usually pretty good and the people very friendly.

Not an obvious choice but Maastricht is very, very beautiful with dozens of wonderful restaurants. I flew to Eindhoven and caught a bus from there.

Maastricht is ok but not too many things to see and do.
Would recommend Bruges - fabulous city, even better to see at night, loads of history and best of all is great food.
Only one hour by train from Brussels

all my friends tell me Lisbon is brill, however for something different I booked a weekend in Instanbul,coming up shortly. flights are direct from Dublin on Fridays and Tuesdays. I booked through Expedia.co.uk and you have to have a british address for (easy for me I know, just used a newry address) the tickets but I am sure a travel agent can book them as well. I tried to book them with but couldn't for some odd reason

I can second Cologne. Get the train from the airport directly in to the centre of Cologne right beside the Dom (Cathedral). On the other side of the train station by about 500 yds stay at the Marriott Cologne www.marriott.co.uk . A beautiful hotel, great location, food etc. Rooms are cheaper at the weekend. Stroll along the banks of the river Rhine on Sunday to the chocolate museum. Combine their October anniversary to coincide with Cologne's Christmas market.