City Break for 50th Birthday

ney001

Hi all

I am looking for recommendations for my mam's 50th birthday. We would like to go away for a couple of days on a city break - somewhere fairly handy to get to i.e no longer than 2hrs on plane (not UK). There'll be 5 adults and a child (11) - I was thinking along the lines of Germany - any ideas?

Also looking for something nice to do for the actual birthday when we get there i.e concert/meal etc

Rennes in Northern France is a great walkable city. Big train station with bus station next door. Hop on a bus/train for day trip to Dinan or St. Malo. Just over an hours flying time from Dublin.

Sorry should have said that we are looking to go in March - Just checked rennes and Aer Lingus don't go there until May. Ryanair don't fly there at all.

barcelona is a great city for a weekend and this crowd www.clickair.com have specials on at the moment (or they did yesterday maybe sold out by now) i think they're taking over the route from iberia and flights could be had for €40 return.

If you would like Germany depending on what interests you I'd recommend Munich or Berlin. Its a fantastic country, people are very friendly and helpful. Loads to see and do.

In Munich you're very near the Barvarian Alps if you're outdoors ppl. Berlin is full of all the obvious sights that will bring your history classes back with a bang. I couldn't recommend it highly enough and it somehow (in a positive way) doesn't feel as much of a 'city break' like Prague, Barcelona, Paris etc - all of which are nice though and sure you'll find things to do and see wherever you decide.

Girona is the perfect place for a weekend break. Lovely old section in the city. Very walkable. If you want there are other places nearby that are of interest.....Dali's museum. Barcelona is 1 hour away on very reasonable trains.

For me, Bilbao and San sebastian are a great idea. Great food, drink, Guggenheim museum in Bilbao and great scenery, all at very reasonable prices. I stayed in the NH hotel in San Sebastian, would highly recommend it

Carcassonne would be hard to beat. Ryanair fly direct & the City Centre is only 10 mins. from the airport. Stay at the Chateau de Cavanac where the food & dinner in particular is a never to be forgotten experience. Price would be 50% below Irish hotel/restaurant prices on a "like for like" basis. The old city looks like a real life Disneyland only 900 years old & hardly changed at all. Also there are great attractions for kids in the area.

if you read the book 'Labyrinth' first you will undoubtably head for Carcassonne. what about Salzburg?