Citroen C5 or Citroen Xsara

!RAY

Hi All
Both cars are 2lt HDI. I am looking to buy a second hand car around 2002 and 2003. have a choice of both cars for the same price just 10,000 more miles on the C5. Has anybody any views on these cars.
Cheers
!Ray

The xsara is equivalent to the Focus, the C5 to the Mondeo. Which do you need?
Both will be about the same reliability wise.

You should be able to negotiate excellent deals on Citroens and the moment. Do you mind me asking what you think you will be paying?

Hi
C5 about 5,250 to 5,000 and the Xsara 4,250 to 4,500( 1 year older then the c5).
I want a car that is good on mpg and comfortable as i am 6ft 4".The Tax and insureance will be the same on them.
Cheers
!RAY

Well purely based on your size I would go for the C5 without question.
While bland looking it's also a bit more of a modern car than the Xsara.

If it's in good condition and low mileage then 5000 isn't too bad. You should be able to bargain very hard, especially if a cash buyer. Don't underestimate just how dead the car market is. Nothing is selling.

Hi PGD1
The car was 5,950 and i thought i would get it for 5,250 cash in the hand .But he said the best price was 5,750 so i told him i had 5,500 to buy it now.
No luck 5,750 was his best price and that was that.
The dealers seem to be hanging on ,i thought 5,250 was a fair price, pity he did not think the same.
Cheers
!Ray

I'm thinking of buying a 2002/2003 Citroen C5 diesel. Mileage on the cars I'm looking at have about 60-70K miles.They seem to be good value. Are they known to be unreliable? I'm told a French diesel is a solid bet

I bought a 2002 model citroen xsara in 2004 (1.9 Diesel Standard) with 59k on the clock. 10 months / 19000 miles later a cam rod snapped in the engine block putting two holes the size of the palm of my hand on top & bottom of engine block. Engine was a write off, took 3 months to find replacement engine & another 6 months to sell on. need less to say i haven't bought citroen since.