Cirrus/maestro

springer

Hi all,
Just a quick one,does the cirrus/maestro enabled atm cards from our banks here in Ireland work in the USA ? I have succesfully used these cards all over Europe and middle East but have never tried in the states.

Thanks

Springer

Maybe be cheaper (albeit with certain caveats) to preload a credit card and make cash withdrawals. There are several threads on this issue (best/cheapest way to access cash abroad) that might be worth rooting out.

Maybe be cheaper (albeit with certain caveats) to preload a credit card and make cash withdrawals. There are several threads on this issue (best/cheapest way to access cash abroad) that might be worth rooting out.

I have recently used Cirrus in NYC and Seattle with no problem.

I wouldn't preload the credit card with cash. If your credit card is in credit and is skimmed or defrauded in some other way, I don't think the banks cover the fraud. Other posters may confirm this. As an aside, my partner's card was skimmed last year at an ATM (the thieves also had a hidden camera for recording her pin) and the bank covered the fraud.

It is better to increase your authorised credit if you really need to withdraw cash on a credit card, but, it is prudent to then pay the outstanding amount on your return as interest can ruin those holiday memories!

Remember, travellers cheques, while now uncool, are still an option.

Enjoy the States!

What are the caveats involved ? I am heading to the USA for the next 3 weeks at the weekend and I have preloaded my Bank of Ireland Mastercard with a few grand. When I preloaded my card the bank staff seemed to agree that they charge something like 1.75% and thats it. They followed it through by saying it was cheaper than using the bureau de change.
I rang my credit card provider today (Bank of Ireland Mastercard) and they have confirmed to me that preloading my credit card is the cheapest way to go.
Is there any situation where my laser/cirrus/maestro debit card is cheaper to use ?
Is withdrawing cash from a card in credit more or less expensive than paying for goods and services with the same preloaded card ?

I wouldn't preload the credit card with cash. If your credit card is in credit and is skimmed or defrauded in some other way, I don't think the banks cover the fraud. Other posters may confirm this.

I rang my credit card provider today (Bank of Ireland Mastercard) and they have confirmed to me that if a preloaded card is stolen/skimmed and fraudulently used by a thief then the whole amount is covered.
I am very happy to be able to provide this information for you all as this question has cropped up a few times. But be aware the same may not apply to a different bank and/or card provider.

This recent thread is probably the most relevant of the ones ClubMan was referring to: Best Credit Card for travelling/buying abroad.

sign, I'm in the same boat as you* and was pleasantly surprised to see from the [broken link removed] linked to in the above post that, in this one respect at least, the standard BoI MasterCard, once preloaded, actually does seem to be pretty much the cheapest option for accessing funds in the US. Wonders will never cease!

* I speak figuratively. We're flying there.

If your credit card is in credit and is skimmed or defrauded in some other way, I don't think the banks cover the fraud.
Depends on the terms & conditions of the specific card. I'm not sure that it's correct to assume that all or even most do not cover credit balances.
Remember, travellers cheques, while now uncool, are still an option.
Not uncool but expensive and awkward.

What are the caveats involved ?
Mainly the one about whether or not such funds are covered in the event of the card being stolen or otherwise used fraudulently. Also that you may need to take care to manage the card when making card transactions as well as cash withdrawals (in some cases the former may eat into the credit balance immediately).

Also that you may need to take care to manage the card when making card transactions as well as cash withdrawals (in some cases the former may eat into the credit balance immediately).
Im trying not to worry now ...
By preloading my BOI Mastercard card I dont have to worry about this ? This is what I'm assuming from the information I have received. I wouldnt want to be stranded by an unforeseen problem.
If the card is preloaded , are purchases of goods seen any differently regarding charges than cash withdrawals ?

No, they'll be processed in the same way as usual and, depending on the merchant/network involved, will be debited to your account within a day or so of your purchase. I think the point that ClubMan is making is that you can't just preload, say, €3,000 onto the MasterCard, go away and think 'Grand, now I can withdraw 3 x €1,000 over the hols and I won't be hit for any cash advance fees or interest'.

In the meantime, every time you use your card for a purchase, or to pay a bill, those amounts are coming out of your €3,000 credit balance. And if your balance drops below zero at any time before you clear your following statement, then you'll be hit for advance fees and interest on all the cash withdrawals you've made, even if you were still in credit at the time of making them.

So you need to (a) keep an eye on your balance while away, and (b) be in a position, if necessary, to top up the MasterCard account balance to keep it in the black — presumably from whatever a/c you normally use to clear your credit card bill?

Exactly DrM. Basically you need to be familiar with the terms & conditions of your card when using it for anything other than just credit payments.

I thought that as long as you were in credit at the time of making the withdrawal that you were ok for that particular transaction but of course subsequent transactions would not be the same.
I have no cheque book account and as a result have to write mbna cheques occasionally. I always check to see what my balance is and deposit enough to cover the cheque and the outstanding balance. once the cheque is accouted for I then resume using the card as normal. danger with this of course is if the payee doesn't present the cheque immediately. that can be a right pain as effectively you cant use the card unless you are willing to pay interest on the whole balance when the cheque is presented/
I recently used my UB current account (in credit ) card abroad and had no problems withdrawing cash. in the EU admittedly and there was no charge for the transaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
And if your balance drops below zero at any time before you clear your following statement, then you'll be hit for advance fees and interest on all the cash withdrawals you've made, even if you were still in credit at the time of making them.

Ooooooo how sneaky is that

Thanks for that. I dont think I'll spend more than I preloaded my card with but if I do I'll use my debit/atm card instead