cirrus card V money transfer

Haille

Does anyone know if you can use BOI atm cards with cirrus on them in Germany without incurring fee per transaction.My daughter is studying in Germany ,has a BOI account. She also opened a German bank account. I have done an international money transfer from my BOI account into her German bank account but someone told me I will incur a €5 fee per transaction. If I transfer into her BOI account would it work out cheaper?

That will depend on what ATM she uses in Germany. The fees can vary wildly and remember in Germany they don't have anything like Link or that-you often choose a deposit account based on which bank has the most ATMs, whether pr not you travel beyond your own city (for example people who rarely leave Berlin will often be with the Berlinersparkasse as they have so many ATMs in Berlin but if they travel nationally may opt for a national bank such as Dresdner or Hypovereinsbank). I suggest you post your question here: http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showforum=181

A BOI Cirrus card has no cost for being used in Germany- it's in the Eurozone.

Your daughter should set herself up for online banking, if she's not set up already. She can use her Cirrus card & then check the transaction. There's definitely no BOI charge & seeing as she should have a student a/c there will be no fees either.

You can transfer into her BOI a/c at any time & she should have no problem or cost accessing in Berlin. She may also transfer online to her German a/c without charge. It may be a good idea to use her German a/c for paying her rent etc as you can't set up Standing Orders to a different jurisdiction. If her German bank are going to charge her (as far as I can see they certainly charge more than Irish banks ) she can always set up the beneficiary online & transfer whenever needs be without any cost.

There is no charge for you doing a Euro transfer to Germany provided you have supplied the BIC & IBAN plus name & address for both your daughter & her bank & the amount is less than €50k. No charge for paying money into her BOI a/c either. Have a chat with your branch & they'll confirm what I've said ( I work for BOI myself )

The most important thing is that she's set up for online banking. Once she has that she's in full control.

[broken link removed] only apply if you have a German account and use an ATM not operated by the bank you are with.
I've had personal experience of banks in Germany, boy do they like to charge, 4.50 for using a different banks ATM,(per transaction) and 10euro to replace a lost card!

So my advice to your daughter is to stay well clear of German banks.

A BOI Cirrus card has no cost for being used in Germany- it's in the Eurozone.
Surely you mean that there is no additional cost and that the normal charges that would apply to ATM transactions in Ireland will apply elsewhere in the eurozone?

I'm assuming that the posters daughter is a student. Student accounts do not incur any transaction fees. Even if she's a graduate she still gets free banking for a further 2yrs from date of graduating.
Indeed any BOI customer who uses online &/or telephone banking to make 3 payments per qtr or maintains a min balance of €500 at all times doesn't get charged fees either.
I'm amazed that anyone pays fees these days. All of the main banks give you a means to opt out.