Christmas on Ice - discounts/etc . .

zag

Does anyone have any discount codes for the Christmas on Ice thingie in the RDS ?

By the way - nil points to 7up and the RDS for having a website that insists you have Flash and has no way to present the information to you without it.

z

Also, any recommendations from people who went last year ? I guess wrap up warm will be the obvious one, but any others appreciated.

z

I'm looking for some discount codes for this year. Zag didn't appear to have too much luck last year.

Anyone able help?

Murt

Well now, isn't that a coincidence . . .

I was on the DART yesterday and noticed a promotion - enter NOV ('NEV' according to the ads) and the cost is €7 for a session on any day in November. Enter DEC and it's 20% off for any day in December. You don't even need a train ticket.

There was some variation where you could get something else off Santas Palace or something, but it was definitely discounted ice skating.

We went last year and to be honest it was just loolaa and not entirely enjoyable. There were a couple of groups of youngsters basically taking straight lines at speed and just cutting through anyone in their way. There were stewards on the ice and they did attend to the more boisterous elements, but the overall feeling was that I was about to be crashed into for 60 minutes and I managed to lose Mrs Zag on the ice for significangt amounts of time - it was that packed. I can't remember the date but it was something like 1800, which I wouldn't have expected to be peak time.

z

Thanks for that Zag and the warning which I will heed. It doesn't sound either pleasant or enjoyable.

I think I'll find something else to do.

Any other suggestions, anyone?

Murt

Apart from the skating, are the rest of the activities worth a 2.5 hour drive with a 4 and 7 yr old? Haven't taken them to anything other than a regular santa up to now and want to do something special while our eldest is still a believer.

nt2 - I don't think it was particularly special, but then I don't like being corraled and made queue for what seems like ages in a tent, rushing on for a 1 hour slot and then being made queue for ages again to give the boots back.

I don't want to be too negative - it was fun, but it could have been done a lot better. There was a childrens skating area, but (for good and bad) adults weren't allowed skate there. So the children could skate without being run over, but you also couldn't help teach them (because you are an adult . . .)

Also the childrens play area which I just passed through was held in what looked like a big shed - just didn't have the Christmas atmosphere for me.

I know one of my early-teenage neighbours used to go skating there almost every day and obviously enjoyed it, but he was there with 'the lads' so the context would be different.

I would love to hear from anyone who went there with kids last year and found they enjoyed it.

z

heres a new one. permanent too. don't know if its worth a drive or not. the bumping cars on ice sound fun though. [broken link removed] I see Mongolia those ice hockey marvels have a team in next years 'world' championships

Picked up a flyer at lunchtime today in local sandwich shop.

November offer:
Two for One Ticket Offer on Ice Skating and Santa's Polar Palace Tickets. Log onto , click "book now" and enter promo code "ERXPP2" or call 0818 717200

Dec/Jan offer:
€12 off Santa's Polar Palace family tickets - as above - promo code "ERXPP3"
€6 off pair santa polar palace tickets - as above - promo code "ERXPP5"
€10 off ice skating family tickets - as above - promo code "ERXPP4"
€5 off pair ice skating tickets - as above - promo code "ERXPP6"

Family tickets must be pre-booked.

Does anyone have any discount codes for the Christmas on Ice thingie in the RDS ?

By the way - nil points to 7up and the RDS for having a website that insists you have Flash and has no way to present the information to you without it.

z

We went to this last year - we took two kids with us (9 year olds) - thought it was absolutely rubbish, the kids did as well . The kids enjoyed the ice skating, the puppet show was rubbish, they didn't like the Santa scenario, there was about 6-8 Santas and u queue up and go into a dreary dark room to see him. I found the place packed (which I don't mind) but overall pretty filthy, there was rubbish everywhere and the stewards all stood around at the toilets smoking. The year before this we went to Smithfield - they loved this, afterwards we got a hot chocolate and queued to see Santa in Smithfield tower, then went and got dinner - much better value then RDS.