Christmas markets in Europe

Mpsox

This may seem a bit odd for June, I'm looking to take my wife to one of the Europena Christmas markets for her birthday later in December. I was thinking of Munich but can anyone shed some light on these, are they worth going to. My wife has a serious love of Christmas, would she enjoy this?????

I went to Vienna a few years ago for a December weekend and enjoyed the city and the markets. Very pretty, very seasonal. Lots to do. ( Mainly eating and drinking after walking our socks off in the cold)

mf

Went to Krakow ( 2 nights B & B and flights - 110pps ) last December. There were markets and it had a Christmassy feel but unfortunately no snow ( it was 20 degrees c one day. There was an exhibition where people submit home made "cribs" but I didnt go to it ( it happens every year ). The markets had plenty of wooden toys, flowers and decorations. Drink and food were a third of the price here.

Brussels has a nice one too. We've done Ryanair day trips through Charleroi for abut €35 to visit them. Has worked perfectly so far...and loads of people on our flights were day-trippers.

we went to the christmas markets in stuttgart last year. it was absolutely fabulous. i also love christmas and it was like something out of a fairy tale. wonderful atmosphere, people standing around drinking mulled wine and eating sausages. a brilliant weekend, not too cold but chilled enough to give that christmassy feeling!

we went 2 years ago to edinburgh and they had lovely christmas markets from 8th dec on and they were great, and we had good fun in edinburgh itself also.

Was in Cologne last Christmas. Very good X-Mas Market beside the Cathedral. The main shopping area is right there too and if you walk to the other end of the main shopping area there is another xmas-mraket "Neu-Markt' also worth a visit

Went to Berlin last Christmas. There are a number of Christmas Markets scattered throughout the city. Stayed at the A lovely hotel within walking distance of a good sized Christmas market and a short bus hop to two others. Ryanair has lots of 1c flights there and back at the moment. The train brings you from the airport to within 500 yds of the above hotel.

We flew with Lufthansa last year to Frankfurt which was beautiful. Frankfurt is a very commercial city so you can get great hotel deals for weekends. Try the Hilton in Frankfurt. 5 min walk from the Markets. We stayed there last year for €150 per room per night.

The flights were expensive though.

Would anyone recommend an airline to fly with for an Xmas Market trip besides Ryanair, or a Ryanair airport that is near the destination of a good Xmas Market?

We went to Berlin last December as well. Great city but if you're looking for really Christmassy Christmas markets you would do better with one of the other German cities that still has an Altstadt - old part of city. Why not fly into Frankfurt and take a train to Heidelberg. Very nice. That's the only other city where I've been to the Christmas markets.

I flew to Cologne two years ago with Germanwings.de. Excellent airline (and cheap flights) and excellent Christmas markets in Cologne. This city is meant to have the best Christmas markets in Germany I believe. It was absolutely freezing, but apparently it was really mild last winter. The cold is good though, more reason to drink Gluhwein!

Frankfurt has a pretty good Xmas market, not as good as Cologne, but Frankfurt has some nearby towns with real gems - Giessen, Kassel, Wiesbaden and especially Marburg.

Back