Christmas in South Africa

onway

Has anyone spent Christmas in South Africa ??Thinking of blowing the SSIA on a trip there this year. Is it hot at Christmas??Would it be very busy or would alot of things close down??All advice gratefully received.....

Christmas in SA is summertime so it will be hot.
How hot, depends on where in SA you intend to be. ( The distance between Cape Town and Jo'burg is about 1600 km; Hoedspruit up in Limpopo province is about 2000 km from Cape Town.)
The further North you go, the hotter it gets.

We have spent Christmas in SA on a few occasions but it was always with friends on their farm in Natal so can't really tell you much about what happens in the cities or in hotels.
Try the SA Tourist Board www.southafrica.net or give a call to 01 676 8022 which is the Dublin office and is located at 2nd floor, Alexandra House, Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin 2.

We spent our honeymoon in SA this year, arriving on New Years day.

During the planning phase of the trip we were advised that it was necessary to book everything in advance as this period and the days before including christmas are the peak summer holiday weeks in the country - the kids are off school so everyone is on the move.

Because we acted on this advise and had all of our accommodation booked (and even some restaurants) I can't tell if it is truly necessary but my hunch is that it is. For example, accommodation in the national parks gets booked well in advance - so if you wanted to visit Kruger National park and stay in the chalets with the best views - you'd do well to get organised.

The discussion boards on fodors.com are great for advise on itineraries and will be able to tell you exactly what goes on around christmas time.

We spent time in Kruger NP in the north of the country, and had lovely hot weather. Down around Cape Town and the Garden Route we had mostly nice sunny weather in mid to high 20's.

Depending on where abouts you go, you can expect temperatures to reach anywhere from 30 to 40 celsius over the Christmas period.

We were there just before Christmas O4. (First 2 1/2 weeks in December) Depending on where we were the weather got really hot sometimes and rained other times. We did the Garden Route so stayed in about 8 places in total. Capetown was really hot the 1st week (28-30 degrees) and when we got to Safari (Lalibella, about an hour about 10 days later it had dropped to about 18 degrees and lashed rain for all 3 days. We didn't mind this at all as apparantely you see more animals in that kind of weather, and we got to see nearly all of them. Nothing closed and it was quite busy when we were there, there is great shopping in Capetown and some of the smaller towns, but to be honest there is so much to do and see that you won't really want to waste time shopping or sunbathing!

Go for it, we're hoping to go back next year when we get our own SSIA through. If you want any other info just ask!

Many thanks for that info. I do have a few questions if you don't mind......!
1. Who did you fly with and how was it?
2. We hope to fly to Cape town - spend 4/5 days there - fly on to Port Elizabeth ,hire a car and drive back along Garden Route for 5/6 days. Hope to also do some safari somewhere along the way. What are your thoughts on this???

It sounds like a fair plan. If you can, try to spend a little more time driving back down the garden route. There are so many places that are well worth stopping at.

onway said:
Many thanks for that info. I do have a few questions if you don't mind......!
1. Who did you fly with and how was it?
2. We hope to fly to Cape town - spend 4/5 days there - fly on to Port Elizabeth ,hire a car and drive back along Garden Route for 5/6 days. Hope to also do some safari somewhere along the way. What are your thoughts on this???

No probs..
1. We flew with LTU, and going over it was awful to tell the truth. We got stuck on the runway for 2 1/2 hours in Dublin not moving. It wouldn't have been so bad if we hadn't had those horrible seats right in the middle of the plane! It would have been 300 euro each more to go 1st class, and I will be the next time! Coming home it was fine as we got window seats at the top with extra leg room (boyfriend is 6'2" so I think they felt sorry for him!) Oh and they charged us going over for excess luggage too, it was about 50 euro, but coming home they said we could have as much as we liked!

2. We flew to Capetown, the car was delivered on the 1st day, we stayed in Capetown for 3 days, then on up the Garden Route over the next week staying in about 6 different towns, (I'll try pull out the itinerary and tell you the order later) weather was gorgeous all the way to Port Elizabeth. When we got to Port Elizabeth, we stayed overnight, next morning they collected the car, and we took a minibus to Lalibela Game Reserve and stayed there for 3 nights before heading heading back to Capetown with SA Airlines (can't recommend these enough, would have stayed on that plane all day!) We went back to same hotel and car was delivered again for the last few days. Even if you don't think you'd like Safari, believe me when you get there you will love it, its an out of this world experience, stay somewhere nice, it will make all the difference, costly but well worth it.

In saying that, we actually won our holiday but will have no problem paying it for the exact same trip again, it really was the best holiday experience ever!

We flew with BA from London and had a grand flight - I'll admit that due to exceptional circumstances we got an upgrade to Club Class on the way down so it was bliss to be honest, flat beds and champagne all the way! On the way home we were in economy and just popped some sleeping XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

The flights to SA are great because they are through the night - you sleep on board and wake up in Joburg or Cape Town jet lag free and ready to go.

You will certainly fill your time in Cape Town as there is lots to see.

Safari wise, I believe a lot of people go to Shamwari for a night or two as it is near Port Elizabeth. Another popular game park is Addo, again about 75k from PE.
http://www.sanparks.org/parks/addo/
http://www.shamwari.com/

If you like food or wine Franschhoek and the other wine towns near Cape Town are well worth a visit for a night as there is great eating, drinking and scenery to be had, and all just a half hour or so outside the city.

Along the garden route the best place that we stayed was in another of the national parks - Storms River Mouth in Tsitsikamma (it was also the least expensive place that we stayed!). If you book the 'honeymoon cottages' - and anyone can book them - you get a fantastic wooden lodge about 15 feet from the ocean. Stock up on food for the barbie and you're all set. pm me if you'd like to see some pictures!

[broken link removed]

We also spent two nights in Knysna - one of the more popular towns along the Garden Route.

As mentioned in a previous post, the forum on fodors.com is the best resource I found for advice on SA - there are a couple of folks there who will offer detailed advice on your proposed itinerary.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=4

muzaway said:
Along the garden route the best place that we stayed was in another of the national parks - Storms River Mouth in Tsitsikamma (it was also the least expensive place that we stayed!). If you book the 'honeymoon cottages' - and anyone can book them - you get a fantastic wooden lodge about 15 feet from the ocean. Stock up on food for the barbie and you're all set. pm me if you'd like to see some pictures!

[broken link removed]

We also spent two nights in Knysna - one of the more popular towns along the Garden Route.

Wow that place looks great, was it off the beaten track or easy enough to find? We also stayed in Knysna, it was a great spot, till the electricity went, then it was quite a scary spot!

Also Onway, found the link for Lalibela, its right beside Shamwari. www.lalibela.co.za/

We've flown with KLM before, which means stopping over in Amsterdam. From there, we had one trip via JHB, and one direct to CT. I don't know if they still do it, but KLM used to quite often do a tour flying around the peninsula if running ahead of schedule.

You definitely want to visit Storms river and Knysna while travelling down the garden route. If you do stay at Knysna, try to do the day trip out to Featherbed reserve. If you're lucky enough, William Smith will take the wheel on the ferry. He's the son of JJB Smith who rediscovered the coelocanth. He's a very good speaker, and gives a really good and informative cruise. Not that the other guides aren't good. Sitting on the rocks at Plettenberg Bay watching the dolphins go by is a nice way to spend the day. I've been lucky enough to get the timing right in the past. Even if the dolphins aren't going by, it's still a great beach. I'd probably just take the time out to spend a few hours there in passing, and then go on to Knysna.

If you have long enough to take a minor detour, Oudtshoorn makes quite a nice stop. You have the Cango caves, ostrich farms and the crocodile farm.

There's enough along the Garden route to keep you busy and contented for a good few weeks.
There are currently issues with power cuts across South Africa. There's no time frame in place for when they might be resolved.

Seagull said:
We've flown with KLM before, which means stopping over in Amsterdam. From there, we had one trip via JHB, and one direct to CT.

You definitely want to visit Storms river and Knysna while travelling down the garden route. If you do stay at Knysna, try to do the day trip out to Featherbed reserve. If you're lucky enough, William Smith will take the wheel on the ferry. He's the son of JJB Smith who rediscovered the coelocanth. He's a very good speaker, and gives a really good and informative cruise. Not that the other guides aren't good.

If you have long enough to take a detour, Oudtshoorn makes quite a nice stop. You have the Cango caves, ostrich farms and the crocodile farm.

There are currently issues with power cuts across South Africa. There's no time frame in place for when they might be resolved.

God, I wish I'd known of this forum before I'd gone, everytime I see somewhere mentioned, I think, should of went there! The Featherbed Reserve looks good, only stayed in Oustshoorn for 1 night and that was a Sunday so there wasn't much to do other than look at the ostrichs whilst on a drive ;)

Roxy,

Storms River Mouth is about 40 minutes past Knysna - driving east. Then it's about a 20 minute drive down a switchback road until you reach sea level.

We had a great time there and would have stayed another day or two had we known.

There's a tree canopy tour in the area which is a must-do-that-we-didnt-do!
http://www.treetoptour.com/
It gets rave reviews!

A good source for driving maps online is www.shellgeostar.co.za click on Plan my Route.

Wow, that treetop place looks great, I love that kind of thing! We did the bungee jump though so may be a little tame for me ;) . Definetely going to check out the Storm River Mouth, thanks for info.

Damn SSIA, why can't I have it now, I wan't to book after looking at these links!

Another question.......Would it be practical to use public transport/taxi etc. for 4/5 days in Cape Town and then pick up hire car for Garden Route or is a car necessary in CT???

We had a car throughout our time in Cape Town and found it handy.

We were staying in Camps Bay fairly high up above the coast so we found the car essential for getting around without having to ring taxis all the time.

I think if you wanted to get taxis and use organised tours you would be grand without a car, but we did find having one handy for getting around the city and surrounds independently. If I was going back I would get a car again.

onway said:
Another question.......Would it be practical to use public transport/taxi etc. for 4/5 days in Cape Town and then pick up hire car for Garden Route or is a car necessary in CT???

Get a Car, definetely, we took taxis going out at night a few times but we got the taxi drivers giving you sob stories about how poor they are and that they've so many children/elderly parents etc to look after and that they never get a day off etc. We got fed up of this after a while and stuck to the car! I don't know how safe buses etc would be but I personally wouldn't use them.

Public transport in Cape Town is not particularly safe. You're better off hiring a car. The train is reasonably safe during the day, but there are regular muggings/robberies. Buses aren't that great around Cape Town.

onway said:

By the time you pay for your transfer in from the airport and taxis then you're as well off hiring a car (if you're hiring it for a few days for the garden route anyway adding on the 4 days in CT might be cheap enough ... the daily rate tends to go down the longer you rent the car for ... as always shop around!)

I concur with the points raised by the other posters ... Cape town isn't a pedestrian friendly city and public transport isn't great. I found the roads & signage pretty good and traffic wasn't bad at all .. not a difficult city to drive in at all .. I know people are sometimes put off driving in cities abroad (there's certainly a few I wouldn't drive in) ... but Cape Town really isn't a problem.

EvilDoctorK said:
By the time you pay for your transfer in from the airport and taxis then you're as well off hiring a car (if you're hiring it for a few days for the garden route anyway adding on the 4 days in CT might be cheap enough ... the daily rate tends to go down the longer you rent the car for ... as always shop around!)

I concur with the points raised by the other posters ... Cape town isn't a pedestrian friendly city and public transport isn't great. I found the roads & signage pretty good and traffic wasn't bad at all .. not a difficult city to drive in at all .. I know people are sometimes put off driving in cities abroad (there's certainly a few I wouldn't drive in) ... but Cape Town really isn't a problem.

I agree, the roads are in excellent condition, even in the 'country'. Very well sign posted and lots of service stations.

Back