Christmas in Scotland

Caveat

Hi all

Hoping to spend Christmas and maybe Hogmanay in Scotland. Not in the cities but not in a highly luxurious expensive and remote castle either.

Google has returned plenty of options but all seem very much geared towards pensioners - we don't want a mad party time but just somewhere that isn't overrun with retired people - and not too expensive.

Any ideas anyone? Where are you Jock04??

Hi Caveat
Just back online after a family bereavement.

OK, one of my old favourites here - New Year in the Highlands!
Fort William is a small enough town, but they usually put on a pretty decent Hogmanay party. Accomodation is reasonable, especially if you book in advance. If you have probs with that, just let me know & I'll try to help.
Good chance there'll be snow on the mountains & the scenery will be absolutely stunning.

Sorry, not really up to it today,if you have any ideas or questions, post below & I'll get back to you shortly.

Thanks Jock

Sorry to hear of your bereavement. If you have any other opinions I'd be happy to hear them, in your own time. When you say Fort William as a destination do you just mean the town in general is a good spot or do they have particular accomodation that would attract? Something cosy above a pub or something might be nice - is the town easily accessible form Ireland?

Thanks

Hi Caveat
I'll have another go at this!
Fort William town itself sure won't win any beauty awards (although there are big plans afoot to change that). But the general area is stunning & the natives are generally very friendly, especially if you're accent isn't English home counties!
Getting there - about a 2 hour drive from Glasgow airport, 3 hours from Prestwick or from Ardrossan Ferry (can't remember if that runs in winter or not) Maybe 3 1/2 hours from Stranraer. There are flights from Dublin to Inverness - Aer Arran I think, Fort W's about 90 mins from there, but flights might be a bit pricier. Plenty of public transport from all those arrival points if you don't want to drive. Beautiful scenery pretty much all the way there, not a boring drive at all.
If you're still interested in FW, let me know & I'll pass you more info.on accommodation, friendly pubs with great food, etc.
If it seems a bit of a trek to get there, towns like Stirling, Perth & Comrie aren't too big & put on a decent New Year bash too. They're only an hour or so from Glasgow or Edinburgh. Stonehaven does a big bash too & is only half an hour from Aberdeen airport (Ryanair from Dublin direct).
I can recommend places to stay in most of these towns, but remember too that pretty much every town & village in Scotland will have some form of formal celebration. Let me know what interests you most & I'll do my best to help.

Thanks for the info Jock

Will have another look at this in a while - there may be a change of plan on this but will get back if we need more advice/info

C