Christmas in France

Danmo

Hi - we are spending Christmas this year in Nice. I have been told that most of restaurants etc will be open on Christmas day. The hotel we are staying in does do bar food but doesn't have a restaurant. Does anyone out there know what the holiday arrangements are there? Any tips on nice things to see/do? I heard they have Christmas fairs this time of year too.....

just a word of advise if you are renting a car in Nice. Lock your door at all time even when you are in the car especially in Nice.

Actually I lived in Nice for a while, driving rental cars & I did the opposite, i.e. never lock the car.

Not sure if it's still the same, but at the time all car reg's were regional (06 = alpes maritimes = nice), most rental cars were from another region so stuck out like a sore thumb. Thieves will break in to steal things, but won't be interested in stealing the car. Leave nothing in it & leave it unlocked when parked.

Better be safe than be sorry, lock your car even when you are inside. I was in Nice last November, rent a car, registered plate are from the nice area but they put a bit sticker on the petrol tank to tell you which type of petrol you need to put in it.

To make a long story short I had to stop for direction as I was lost. Don't like to ask direction to people on the street so I went to a bakery and a man came out to show me where to go, he was a local and he gave me the advice to lock the car even when I am inside which I thaught was a bit odd so I told my husband about it when i went back to the car.

I never ever lock myself in a car but from now one, I do it. Luckily the car we rent lock itself as soon as the motor starts because 5 minutes later, we stop at the red light, I turn my head to check on the children at the back and what did I see a young man early twenty trying to open the back door, as soon as he realised he couldn't open the car, he runs straight back to his accomplice who was waiting for him on a moppet.

it gave me the fright on my life that someone could try to open the car doors when my children were inside to try to steal something.

Thanks guys - this will actually be my sixth time in Nice. can identify with what you are saying - had my bag robbed there on my honeymoon - just took my eye off it for two seconds - there was a fracas outside the restaurant (distraction?) and it was gone. Another time we were heading back to the hotel, late and er inebriated. We sobered up pretty quick when we realised we were being followed. At first I thought my hubbie was imagining it but no. We legged it the rest of the way to the hotel. I love Nice but like any city - you need eyes in the back of your head sometimes!