christmas in chicago

babyspice

hi everyone,
i only joined last few days so not too sure if i am ok to post yet, i would like to go to chicago on 22nd of dec to 28, flights are ok , just need some advice on hotel, has anyone been , where did ye stay and how far from the airport is it, is it a taxi ride as i dont do subway buses trains, is sheraton hotel ok, any advice much appreciated.
melyssa

Hi,

We stayed in Fitzpatricks just off Michigan Avenue.

It was excellent and very very central. Remember Chicago will be very cold in December.

Fitzpatricks is no longer Fitzpatrick's, it's an Affinia now. Last time I looked at it the restaurant was closed for renovations as was the bar so check to see if that's done. Having said all that I've never stayed there but here's my take on the hotels I have stayed in in Chicago.

Hyatt. Location ok. Lobby, smelly and noisy. Corridoors dated, rooms small.

James. Very funky and trendy. Good location. Maybe too trendy, especially for Christmas?

Hilton. Awful location. Rooms dated and smelly. Would not recommend.

Sheraton. Good location, great rooms, fab beds, friendly staff. Recommend this one but my favourite is...

The Intercontinental. Best location right on Michigan Avenue North. Lovely rooms, felt a little more special than the others. Would be perfect for Christmas IMO

Can't remember what the taxi fare is from the airport but it's not crazy.

December will be very very cold and there is a serious risk of airport issues, snow closes the airports fairly often in winter.

All that said, I love Chicago!

Chicago is a great City. Anywhere on the Magnificent mile is fairly central. Views from the top of the John Hancock Building are spectacular.

Check out information regarding transport from Airport and shopping in Chicago on [broken link removed]

Bring your hat and scarf - it is the WINDY city after all !

Tracy.
[broken link removed]

thanks everyone, i booked the sheraton anyway,,,,,,,, now i am on the lookout for christmas dinner

it is the WINDY city after all !

Known as the Windy city for it's politics rather than physical winds !!!

Chicago is not noted to be significantly windier than any other US city in terms of physical winds.

The breeze coming over the river as you cross the bridge between North and South Michigan Avenue......could lead someone to believe it might be due to the weather!

The breeze coming over the river as you cross the bridge between North and South Michigan Avenue......could lead someone to believe it might be due to the weather

By the Wrigley building right?

Yes!! Brrrrrrrrrrrr!!

We usually visit our friends in Illinois in March/September/January and spend a few nights downtown. Either walking from Ogilvie Transportation Centre (central train station) to N Michigan or strolling to or from our hotels, that breeeze is one of the worst I've ever felt. Colder than Alaskan breezes even!